Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Rock Show Really Rocked!

There is a geological gene in the Rice family line that draws them to rocks. (I thought just my hubby and some of my kids were rock nuts, but, after talking to our nephew the other night, we discovered others are suffering from the same genetic defect.) Everywhere Dee travels to, he brings home a rock, and his desk at work is covered with rocks from India and Mexico, North Carolina, Virginia, Michigan, and, well, if he ever loses that job, we may just have to rent a place for the rocks. (He knows I am not a total fan of rocks all over the place, and worries what will happen to his, when he passes...I assured him that I won't throw them away, but he'll have a totally awesome headstone!)

Anyway, he says we NEVER do anything fun, and his friend, Stephen, was staying in Tucson and invited him to see some of the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show, so he took a Friday off work, and I went with him. Funny, when I said I was going to a rock show, most thought AC/DC would be involved (heck, I'm married to a dj)but it was very interesting. We just visited a very small exhibit...apparently there are exhibitors and sellers all over the city...and it took hours to view each display from all over the world. There were the coolest big rocks from India....looked like huge capsules...like dinosaur eggs...would have been absolutely awesome on my playground...but they were $1500 a piece, and sure would have been way to heavy for the trunk of our car! (Sorry there is no picture. I did take one with my phone, but that got sent to my grandson, Adam) Here are some pictures Dee captured:
Calcite twinning crystals


The silvery mineral on the shelf with the needle-like crystals is Stibnite.
The lovely green mineral behind me (you know me and green!!) is Fluorite.
I had just come in from viewing the display outside...windy...so the hair this time is not my fault.

 Dee met Stephen when he was on a business trip in Ohio in November. They met on a walking trail and have become very good friends. He know so much about minerals. It was really a treat to be able to attend with an expert!
 This display was Russian in origin. And these pyrite specimens were huge!The gentlemen offering information/ selling looked like Russian spies...My limited imagination ran wild at this display. 






The small black mineral is Cassiterite.
Stibnite



 The greenish mineral is Apophyllite from India

The nicest thing: my sweetheart had such a great time! He never has really asked to attend anything like this, and he really doesn't do much for himself anyway, so it was a pleasure to make him happy, and the bonus, I really had a great time...got to make a new friend, got to see beautiful things, he even purchased a heart shaped stone...lapis azul, I believe... that I get to wear on my necklace. Jewelry is always a great bonus!

(Many thanks to Stephen, who graciously looked at the blog and our little camera pics - I forgot the Nikon - and identified them for me! Stephen, you truly are a gem!!!)

1 comment:

Tanya Anurag said...

All that glitters is not always gold... it can be rock as well. They are beautiful. Must have been a pleasure to actually see it. I remember visiting one such factory in Thailand. These rocks are naturally so beautiful and the cutting and polishing just enhances it manifolds.

I am hosting my first link-up party - Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner. Would be glad to see some of your awesome posts there. Hope to see you at the party.

http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/celebrating-one-party-time.html