Saturday, May 12, 2018

Week of May 6-12, 2018

Highlights:

Spiritual
Sunday Church meetings were wonderful, as usual. I visited with one of my sisters I minister after Sacrament meeting. I have visited Yvonne for years, and I know it's hard for her to have me come with family obligations, so I have been just taking a few moments every week to talk with her. I discovered the sister that ministers to me, Karla Olofson, a friend and former visiting teacher. I told her how glad I was, and that I will just need a periodic text to see how I am. Living where I have lived and past experiences have given me the opportunity to grow in independence. Not many needs I have that others can meet.

I really enjoyed choir practice. We work very hard, laugh a lot, but I think the best part of it all is the spiritual experiences had as the emphasis moves to the words and message of the songs we are singing and the testimonies born. Really a great part of Sunday.

Dad attended another Self Reliance class.

I attended a very full session at the Phoenix Temple on Tuesday morning. Our temple shuts down for Maintenance on May 12th. The Mesa Temple shuts down for upgrades and extensive repairs on the 19th...a two year shut down. Ours might just be a bit busy after that. Dad attended a very full session on Thursday evening. 

Cub scouts went well. We talked about kite flying rules and made kites for the Air of the Wolf Adventure. This week, the Church announced they would no longer be a part of Boy Scouting by December 31, 2019. I admit I am looking forward to that. Seven times a den leader is exhausting. And if I have to hear that Watermelon Cheer just one more time.... Dad and the scouts were in charge of the joint activity for mutual. They brought games for Game Night and everyone really liked that. The evening ended with root beer floats.

I continue to listen to a General Conference Talk every morning as I exercise. I am now on my second time through, and started the Saturday afternoon session today.

I am in Alma 32 in my Book of Mormon reading.

I have indexed 11166 records so far this year, and have reviewed 5137 records so far this year.

Family

The Wilkins Family
This family had pics taken last Saturday...All turned out great!




























Mom and Sam enjoyed a trip to a special Wax Museum and getting to meet Helen Keller...

The Ethan Rice Family
This family is doing well. I FaceTimed on Tuesday evening. Kaylee is excited for school to end next week...she will officially be a Kindergartener, and she has a loose tooth, which she is also excited about. Wade and Ruger are getting along really well! Ethan and Morgan dug and put in a couple of sprinklers in the back yard. Cameo is very busy with work and keeping Wade from dumping out Ruger's water dish all over the kitchen floor. I was surprised on Wednesday with a gift...or rather two gifts: a lovely silver necklace that has a piece of pumice in it that essential oils can be applied to for aromatherapy. So awesome! Then I got home from cub scouts and a big box containing these was on the counter...

The Doran Rice Family
Doran and Amber are doing well, though Amber is struggling through a cold. Kelsie and Kooper enjoyed their school week.

Morgan
Morgan is enjoying his new job and doing very well.

Kayty
After church on Sunday, Kayty went and visited with a couple of her friends from high school. She had a good time. Work went well all week.

1 major save this week. 

The Nathan Rice Family
I talked to Nathan and Annalee, or rather Princess Annie of .... (I don't remember now where she said). Busy hard week last week. He spent most of Saturday studying and doing homework, and got up early Monday to complete it. They love their fishing trips, and are enjoying working on their garden and community plot. Nathan had a sleep study Monday night. He said it was the best sleep he has had in years. Now comes the process to approve the c-pap through Cigna. Hopefully it gets approved fast. They had a very busy week, keeping up with school and trying not to take too much advantage of the beautiful weather. They continue to visit their garden plot and work on it as much as they can.



Dad's Garden
Picking tomatoes nearly every day. Our garden looks weak, but we have picked 539 tomatoes so far this year. We are racing the birds, the sun, and the damage from the mites. 

Other highlights

Dad taught 4th Grade at Painted Rock Academy on Wednesday.

Nano shopping included the Metrocenter WalMart, SAS and the bank. I also helped her figure out some mail items and her computer. I got her a pretty yellow corsage to wear on Sunday, a card, some fresh tomatoes, and black ink for her printer.

Lots of yard work: tree trimming, pollen blowing (the mesquites have dropped more this year than in any time Dad has seen), bagging, hauling. 

Saturday was a very good and very busy day. We canned 36 quarts and 1 pint of tomatoes. Grandma came for a visit and picked up Dad's card he made and gift cards for McDonalds. We also hauled limbs to the bulk trash pile, walked around and checked on the drip system and corrected a few leaks, dad repaired the back porch metal cabinet that I keep all the canning supplies and pots in, and hauled as much other stuff as we could to the pile.

News
It was announced by Salt Lake City that the church would no longer participate in the Boy Scouts of America or Scouting BSA as they call themselves now after inviting girls to also participate, as of December 31, 2019. While my boys loved scouts, it IS a very costly program. Awards for just our cub scouts...about 12 of them...come to roughly 7000 dollars, and that is not including Blue and Gold Banquet, Pinewood Derby, Cub Camp, etc. Scouting values seem to have changed, due to pressures from the outside. It is time for us to leave. Scouting has caved to outside forces, and it is a lesson. I am sure this was in the plan for the church for a long time. Last year, our districts here in Arizona were divided into LDS and Non LDS districts. This gives a chance for leaders to develop that aren't part of the church and will allow scouting strength when we leave. Personally, after being a den leader seven times, I am glad I can finally say THIS is my last time!

No comments: