Sunday, July 8, 2018

Week of July 1 - 7, 2018

Highlights:

Spiritual
We had another good Sunday. Our Sacrament Meeting was small, as many of our ward members are out of town, but the spirit was still strong and the closing hymn was "The Star Spangled Banner". It was easy to be tearful with such a powerful spirit and music that brought to mind all the sacrifices that were made so that we could stand in our church singing today. We talked about David, Jonathan and Saul in Sunday School, and Scott and Gayla Smith, from the Arizona Phoenix Mission, came and assisted the sister missionaries in our Relief Society Counsel meeting on missionary work and ministering.

I attended a very full endowment session at the temple on Tuesday morning. Dad attended a session Thursday evening.

I completed reading the July Ensign on Sunday. Elder Rasband's account of his pioneer ancestors was very powerful. I continue to listen to a General Conference talk each morning as I exercise. I completed Priesthood Session this week.

I am in 1 Nephi 2  in the Book of Mormon. I completed reading and started again.

Family

The Wilkins Family
The Wilkins family attended a special Patriotic Fireside on Sunday night (Adam was not well, so he stayed home.) The Primary Children sang "You're A Grand Old" flag, which Grace and Josh sang for me on Marco Polo.
Wonderful!!

The Ethan Rice Family
We spoke via FaceTime on Tuesday night. Kids had their baths and were having a fun night. They spent Independence Day with their friends, eating, enduring the humid heat, and ending with a spectacular Fireworks Show. The headed out camping on Thursday morning. 

The Doran Rice Family
We enjoyed having Doran and Amber come to swim. The brought their Keto lunch items and had a good time. We watched "Jurassic Park" to cool off before they headed home for their own fireworks show.

Morgan
Morgan is doing well and enjoying fun with Ethan and family.

Kayty
Kayty enjoyed church on Sunday, though she decided not to remain for the "Break The Fast" meal, since it was mission food and that was too strange for her. She worked a full day Monday and Tuesday, went into work Wednesday and found no one there. It seems no one told her that Tuesday was two hours shorter and Wednesday was no work. (No work means no pay for her, since she is still working through the temp service.) She spent her Independence Day eating pizza and watching, "Independence Day". Worked well the rest of the week. Saturday included going to the car dealer for an oil change and check so car is ready for Los Angeles. 

The Nathan Rice Family
We talked with this family on Sunday evening. Ellie is just moments near walking, and she was having such fun smacking Daddy and getting a response. Anna showed me a special project she was working on, and showed me her new school desk. Preschool begins as soon as Jessica finishes. Nathan has a huge project that now lacks another participant this week to complete. He did get to go fishing the night before and was successful...

Monday they checked out their garden, and look what they picked???
That is some carrot!!! Congratulations!!!

Nathan has worked crazy long hours to complete their "group project". He worked late Tuesday, did homework on Wednesday, and back at it Thursday.

They did have a wonderful Independence Day celebration. It began with a town parade, with people tossing out candy to the children.

They grilled hamburgers, went fishing, and had lots of fun with friends.

Nathan worked on homework, plus many many extra hours completing the group project. That was their Junior Capstone Project. Next semester, his Senior Capstone Project, where a business brings in a request that the engineering team needs to resolve and create.

Ann got a special treat and visited the Machine Shop at school. She loved it!!! Loved all the machines!


Dad's Garden
We continue to get key limes nearly every day and dad spends time squeezing. Grapes still are not ripe. 

Christmas in July
Ornament painting has begun.
I also watched part of Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer. ( I had to stop and go try to find glazing medium for the next step in the painting process. So far, no success at that.)
Other highlights
The week began with cool mornings! Miraculous for July!!! I jogged and Dad hiked. So thankful for the lovely days we have had so far. We know the hot heat is coming soon, but it has been delightful!

My birthday...
I received a Birthday Eve gift from Ethan and Cameo...

The day began with my annual hike at Thunderbird Park. It is getting harder and harder to go, with the park being locked up later. I did ignore the locked parking lot and drove to the street I have parked on in the past. Filled with No Parking signs. Ugh. I had to go down another street to park, so it was a kind of hike to get to the hike.

Dorrie came and brought me a card and gift. 


Doran, Amber and the kids came by to swim. We got a couple of Little Caesars Pizzas which had the tops devoured, and they had grilled hamburger patties. The had a great time in the pool. It was during my no sun hours so I stayed indoors and watched from the window. We watched a movie the kids had wanted to see, "Jurassic Park" and then they went home. 





















We spent a quiet evening at home. I did my Wednesday cleaning, vacuuming, dusting, and bathroom scrubbing. I talked with the phone with Nathan, Jessica, Anna and Ellie. They sang "Happy Birthday" to me...First and only time. Ethan and Cameo FaceTimed right after that, and then it was shower and bedtime. 

It was just an interesting thing. I have kind of "quit" FaceBook. I do look at it, but I refrain from any comments, and when it gets to be too political, I am off. I even made my birthday private, since I am only giving Happy Birthdays to family. Interesting...the only acquaintances that said acknowledged were my former visiting teacher, and my current ministering sister, the Relief Society secretary. I don't remember many birthdays, but since mine is July 4th, I thought someone might. 

Nope. Dad did a post later, against my wishes, and many acquaintances acknowledged it then...but only one nephew, no sisters in law, and not even my high school best friend that we have only exchanged birthday greetings for over 35 years said a thing. Now, mind you, this was just a curiosity, a type of Social Media experiment.

I purchased this with the money from Nano...it was not new but sold by an individual for a great price!


Not so highlights
I woke up Friday to exercise and jog...it was 94 degrees. Boy, to go from a pleasant 78 Monday to 94 at the same time Friday is torture! Summer is here!!!

No comments: