Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Contest...Of Sorts...Or "Oh, I Need Help!"

This is a contest, of sorts, but the prize, well, my hubby will be the winner of that. I have this unrealistic fear...of making Cafe Rio Pork! Silly, you say, but it is real. I have counseled, over and over, with my ever so expert oldest daughter-who is superb at just about everything cooking- on what and how to do it. And, to be honest, I cannot fail to imitate the "real stuff", for we don't eat out, and so we have never been to Cafe Rio (apparently a shame I should not admit to), so hubby won't know what he is, or is not, missing. So, the contest...post YOUR favorite Cafe Rio Pork recipe for me...please! The only requirement, I have to be able to leave OUT any onions...I don't have time for a trip to the emergency room, a hospital stay for routine tests that show no reason for the condition...hubby is allergic to onions...I can leave them out, unless they are totally needed. And, when I make it...I have scheduled it on my menu at least four times, but had to cancel due to too many leftovers in fridge, and, that "lack of self-confidence/fear" thing...you can have the wonderful feeling of knowing YOU pleased my hubby...and maybe, just maybe even my 17 year old, never pleased but never complaining son! Thank you for your help!!!

4 comments:

the W* family said...

I don't think you can go wrong with this recipe, Mom! We ate at Cafe Rio first (we don't eat out often, but every once in awhile we go), and then made the copy-cat recipes. They are very similar, but we prefer the homemade. Kelli and Patrick had never eaten at Cafe Rio, but had made it at home. When they came up here and ate at Cafe Rio, they, too, liked the homemade stuff better.

We tried a new recipe last weekend (found here: http://realmomkitchen.blogspot.com/2008/05/lauras-version-of-cafe-rio-sweet-pork.html). It was really yummy, and didn't have the onions that Becky Higgins' recipe would have (in the salsa).

Grammy Suzzy said...

Allison, I am gonna try it... I promise. Glad to know it needs sugary pop...I hid one of Kayty's cans of sugar free Dr. Pepper (imitation). Now, is that the red enchilada sauce?

the W* family said...

Yes the red enchilada sauce. And, I'm not sure if you know this, but never cook with sugar-free soda. Aspratame turns toxic once it is heated to above 86 degrees.

Grammy Suzzy said...

I remember, plus I heard it HAS to be the sugary stuff...Got the red enchilada sauce today at Food City...on I go! Thank you so much, my dear sweet daughter!