Sunday, August 27, 2017

Week of August 20 - 26, 2017

Highlights:

Spiritual
Sunday was a good day. I started indexing and then did some genealogy. I get emailed hints from Family Search all the time, and today I decided to act on a hint. I ended up finding a cousin, wife and children and I have a new name to take to the temple to do work for. Choir practice was great and we sang in Sacrament meeting, which was lovely since it was also a missionary farewell and the song went perfectly with the missionary work theme. I ended up getting called at the last minute to be chorister in Sacrament Meeting, and it was okay except for the closing song, which I had never seen before.

I had pack meeting on Tuesday night. I shopped during the day for way too many popsicles for the pack meeting treat. Our den did a great job on the flag ceremony.

Dad attended a temple session on Wednesday evening.

I am in Alma 9 in the Book of Mormon.

I have indexed 26373 records so far this year. I am trying to find a new record to settle into. When you are indexing, if you stay on the same record type from the same location, it is easier to figure out poor handwriting and you get a sort of rhythm going.

Family

The Wilkins Family
The Wilkins Family is doing great! Adam survived going from a very small elementary school to his first week at a 1700+ student high school! He has already done well in piano, and is also taking honors English, algebra, P.E. and required courses, plus an elective of ceramics, which will be quite a new thing to learn. Grace spoke with us on Sunday and she is so excited for school to begin! Josh wasn't feeling well on Sunday, but it was perhaps back to school jitters for him. Sam has been quite the comedic actor around the house. His new thing is to go to someone's closet, dress up in their clothing, and then proceed to walk around, acting like the person he is dressed like. It sounded so funny, and I bet his interpretations of how others behave is really eye opening! Work is going well for both Mike and Allison. This family is doing well!!
First day of school for Grace and Josh
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20914342_10155623265803328_3154740306693429510_n.jpg?oh=6e1174a64db7aecea8f12ff1a37c8cff&oe=5A19B210

Traditional shaved ice for the end of the first day of school
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20994192_10155624591873328_8398520132551731427_n.jpg?oh=9758b983420f193546c4259c15966030&oe=5A18A799

The Ethan Rice Family
Little Wade started walking this week! Huge milestone for an 8 month old! I was so happy Kaylee called me on Wednesday afternoon and we got to talk about school, read a book of hers, and start a card game. I am so thankful for FaceTime!!

The Doran Rice Family
I missed the family on tv for the dog rescue on Saturday morning but Amber got these...


They did well in placing dogs in new homes, but it was hard work. They had to be up very early on Saturday and stay at the car dealership till noon. Amber is glad it's all done. We had a last swim get together with Amber and Doran and kiddos on Saturday: ribs, salad, French fries, mac and cheese and popsicles.







The Morgan Rice Family
Morgan tried to return to his job but they won't need him for three more weeks, so he is still searching for work. Had an interview on Thursday.

Kayty
Kayty had a good week at work, and spent her days off and evenings watching Law and Order Reruns.

Health good this week.

The Nathan Rice Family
Nathan and Jessica were in a location that saw the Eclipse of 2017 in totality. That is the only way to notice any sort of difference during an eclipse.

Anna called to chat on Thursday when I was on the way home from Nano's. She also called on Saturday while she was heading to the park. Jessica's parents started their trip to Idaho to help when Elisabeth chooses to come.

Dad's Garden
Dates are coming in now and Dad is loving it.



Year of the House Part 2
We got the pipes selected and a drain chosen that seems very sturdy. Dad needs some advise from Wade Wallin but can't reach him by phone. The stone purchase was delayed since Mark Kuhlwein had a sick horse that went to the equine hospital late Tuesday night.

Other highlights
Total eclipse of the Sun  Monday August 21, 2017
What a bust! People had warned to put away animals, cage your chickens, beware of animal predators in the dim light. Phooey! We did check and see the first inklings, beginning at 9:15 am. Then, when it neared totality here (67%) at 10:33 am, the clouds had poured in earlier, and we saw only bits and pieces of it. No darkness. No predators. In fact, I lay down on the back lawn to try and get a picture, and the hens came begging sunflower seeds off me. It is not the first time clouds have marred a celestial event. Years ago, Hailey's Comet was about to pass... and the day it did...boom: cloudy!





This is the best I could get and it was through welding glass on my cell phone. The above pics were with my regular camera and it didn't get anything. 

We have had the best monsoon in years this year. I just wanted one more rain before it ended, and boy did I get rain on Wednesday night. We got an inch in our gage by the pool filter. It was wonderful, and it made for a cool, but humid, Thursday morning jog.


I had a goal to seal my counters this week. I did get a couple of them done.


You have to clear everything off, clean them really well, apply the sealer, and then leave them alone, no water, no contact for at least 12 hours. Still have to get the areas around the sink...hopefully this week.

Nano shopping went well this week and we got her sewing machine running so she could get a project finished. She went to her neurologist and is on a new medication to improve her memory.

Scott and Jenny celebrated Nano's 82nd birthday early on Saturday. Looks like she had a fun time!

Not so highlights
I attended a high school friend's funeral on Saturday, Cindy Rudolph. It was held at the LDS Chapel on 39th Avenue North of Camelback...the building I first attended Mutual with a friend, the building I attended seminary in for four years. I hadn't been back since then (I think Dad did play a dance once or twice there, but not sure). Cindy was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 2 1/2 and epilepsy a month later. She joined the church in high school and, to be honest, I just thought she was always a member. Cindy was always smiling, always happy, always positive. I did know about her diabetes, not the epilepsy, and thus she could never drive. I did take her home from school quite a lot our senior year. We did fall out of touch over the years, but by what was said at the funeral, that smile, that attitude was who she was, not just something to remember. She loved her nephews and would travel around town on a bus with them. Her ward adored her and she would spend hours making cookies, cakes and other treats to give to them. She was a dedicated visiting teacher and her bishop said that he would have not become active in the church years ago without her friendly, dedicated phone calls every month to his wife or him. While it is sad she is gone at 57, she was one of the longest living kidney transplant recipients, and she lived a wonderful life of love of her Heavenly Father and service to others. The pain and struggles her body gave her are gone now. I am so thankful I could gather with some of my old high school friends (Loann Gardner Sirrine, Laura Hodges _____, Kathy Beck Ganem, Gerrie Harmon Miller, Charlene Harmon ___, and Terri Carroll)

No comments: