Saturday, December 23, 2017

Week of December 17 - 23, 2017

Highlights:

Spiritual
A gift to all from a dear photographer friend in our ward

Sunday, Dad attended a Young Men leadership meeting. I attended choir practice. Sacrament Meeting was great with beautiful music including an a Capella men's quintet singing Away in A Manger. It was absolutely magnificent! Brother Ben Cannon from the Stake High Council shared a talk. When he read this poem, I knew my inmate sister needed it, so I asked him for a copy, he emailed it back to me, I printed it on pretty paper and sent it right to Jessie. Here is the poem...

I watched them tearing a building down,
A gang of men in a busy town;
With a ho-heave-ho and a lusty yell
They swung a beam and a side wall fell.
I asked the foreman, “Are these men skilled,
And the men you’d hire if you had to build?”
He gave a laugh and said, “No, indeed!
Just common labor is all I need;
I can easily wreck in a day or two
What builders have taken a year to do! 

I thought to myself as I went my way,
Which of these roles have I tried to play?
Am I a builder who works with care
Measuring life by the rule and square?
Am I shaping my deeds by a well-made plan,
Patiently doing the best I can?
Or am I a wrecker who walks the town
Content with the labor of tearing down?

I subbed in a very difficult primary class. After a hard sharing time, Dad left Deacons Quorum and came to my rescue. I did manage to get the lesson taught but it was very hard!

I completed my visiting teaching for the week with a good visit with one sister and a text to the Flagstaff sister, who actually is here in Phoenix with her family.

Dad attended a scout planning meeting for Young Mens. They did some loose planning...they apparently don't work on merit badges at scouts. Just activities. They did also kind of plan the January Campout. The young men are very good and inclusive and seem to have good ideas. The scoutmaster likes to plan outings two days before...and this will take some getting used to.

I am in Alma 28 in my Book of Mormon reading. I continue to listen to a General Conference talk every morning as I exercise.

I have indexed 37037 records so far this year.

Family

The Wilkins Family
The Wilkins family had a busy week: work parties, Winter parties, Adam's finals, but they did get time to get some Christmas fun in...

The Ethan Rice Family
We spoke with Ethan and family via FaceTime on Monday night. Ethan's yard décor is now award winning!
First Place!!

Hooray for you!  We chatted with the kids, watched Kaylee brush her teeth, found out that Wade had gotten through the stairway gates and scaled the stairs during the day, and wished them all a very Good Night. Cameo made cupcakes for Kaylee's birthday celebration at preschool. Ethan traveled to and from Indiana on business. He ate some Chinese for dinner there and was nauseated from then on. Cameo worked very late on Friday night so she could have a couple of days off.

The Doran Rice Family
This family had a hard Sunday. One of their sweet canine family members had been struggling with what was diagnosed to be a brain tumor. There was no cure and he was suffering so he was put to sleep. So very sorry.
Happy Birthday on Monday to Amber.

Morgan
Morgan had a busy work week, and a blessed time off. His friend Kyle was rear ended pretty bad but thankfully no one was hurt.

Kayty
Kayty saw Star Wars: The Last Jedi,

worked, brought home the movie "Dunkirk" for us too see and me to not understand at all, and dyed her hair this week.

The Nathan Rice Family
On Sunday, this little family made gingerbread houses. We spoke via FaceTime on Tuesday night. Grammy got to read books with Daddy and Annalee, and we talked to sweet Ellie. She is getting so big and has the cutest smile!! Ellie did need to be blessed by Nathan, and soon she will be old enough to crawl, so they chose to have her blessing day on the first Sunday in January, 2018. I was on the computer till late trying to figure a way for dad to fly there, but Allegiant has only two flights a week, and Sunday's flight was before church, so he would need to stay a whole week, which would be impossible to miss work the first weeks of the year. I tried another airline, Delta, and the trip up and back would cost between $1000 and $2000 and still would be hard to get. Driving 16 hours up and back is out with all the difficult weather through Utah and Idaho. So, I went to bed very sad. I knew that eventually I would not be able to attend all things with kids spread across the country. (I had talked with my visiting teachers about this a few months ago. Sister Call, who has nearly the same situation, was unable to attend a new granddaughter's blessing in Texas) So, we will have to miss. I did offer to mail up the blessing blanket if they would like to use it, but that is up to them. The most important thing is that Ellie is blessed.

We visited via FaceTime a few more times. Anna decorated cookies, went to the library for some new books, and just enjoyed snuggling in her blankets with her doll and enjoying her family.

Work
I don't include this category any more, but this week was a doozy so I had to update. Dad worked Monday through Wednesday. A year ago, one of his co workers was reassigned to a new project. This meant that Dad took over this man's suppliers, spending months working with them, visiting, gaining their trust, and helping them. They were doing well and dad had a good work relationship with all companies. Two weeks ago, Dad's boss told all in a staff meeting that everyone assigned to that project was walked out, since there was absolutely no work for that group and they all sat there for an entire year doing nothing but getting paid a full salary. Dad felt bad for the former co worker who had divorced a few years before. Fast forward to Monday, during staff meeting, where the boss told them all that this former co worker was put back in his position, and instead of reapportioning suppliers, he was taking all his old suppliers back, commenting, "I am not starting at the bottom. I am at the top." Not a very "team building" thing to day. Later, dad referred a question to this gentleman regarding one of the suppliers he took back. He got his nose out of joint, called and yelled at dad for a good half hour. Dad repeatedly apologized...over and over...at least 12 times. The guy complained at how hard his life was. Dad only had been told he was fired and knew nothing of his return till the meeting that day. It was crazy. The situation was resolved, but it really showed me how low it has gotten at Honeywell. There is NO team feeling. The co workers are only together at periodic meetings every six months or so, and that is to chew them out. There is no socialization. No Christmas parties. No nothing that builds this group. It makes a job we are threatened to lose all the time, and now have no choice but to stay since dad is 60, even more difficult. There truly is value in the get togethers enjoyed at most other companies. I learned that even more this week.

Dad's Garden
We are picking snow peas and basil. Kind of crazy. We finally had some cooler weather, but the young tomato plants that we put out to get some real sun were not fans.

Year of the House Part 2
This has been quite a week of progress. Wade Wallin helped so much!!!









Now, it's painted, lit and with a mirror. Now, on to the tile.

Other highlights
Woke up to RAIN on Sunday morning. We have had only a spit or two since August. It was so welcome!!!

Nano's last Christmas Dinner (to host, that is)





Nano had a good shopping day on Thursday. WalMart groceries and then the bank. Book club met at her house that night.

Saturday, while cleaning and baking a cake, I enjoyed a "Santa Clause" movie marathon...watched 1, 2 and 3 and loved them!!

Not so highlights
It is not a "not so highlight" to have your grandchildren progress in life, to participate in Priesthood blessings and ordinations. However, it IS a "not so highlight" when you have to miss those things. Last January, I set as a goal to be at Adam's ordination to the priesthood this year. I had quietly hoped they would do that when they were in town for Grandma's birthday party. I had also quietly hoped that Nathan would bless Ellie when they were in town for Thanksgiving. I told no one...I don't want to be an interfering mother/mother in law so I just hoped. I have had to remind myself a lot this year of what is important. Adam being ordained a teacher is the important thing. Ellie receiving her name and blessing is the important thing. My being in attendance is not so important. Even the Blessing Blanket is not so important. Learning is not always fun, but it IS valuable to learn priorities. 

No comments: