Saturday, October 24, 2009

Am I Obsessed??

My hubby and I have a date night, so to speak, every week, but it doesn't happen at night...we spend at least Saturday morning, and sometimes Friday morning, if he is on furlough, and yard sale. Our home, over the years, has been furnished a la garage sale. I don't buy stuff just to buy it...you know me, a clutter freak...but I have gotten the most amazing things. Lately, my WWMSD (what would Martha Stewart do) focus (I just cannot call it an obsession yet) is dinnerware. I used to watch Martha...years ago...and sit in awe at her table, her combinations of dishes, the way she used so little to do so much. My mother in law would love to peruse the dinnerware when we would spend time together. I first fell in love with her Christmas plates, and, over the years, she completed my collection, and it is housed in my kitchen China cabinet. Then, she had the most gorgeous Thanksgiving dinnerware...I loved it, and it became my birthday present. My memories of my grandmother, Tutu, included her Franciscanware Desert Rose dishes. My mom, for a birthday, ordered me them from Macy's, and then hubby completed my treasure with some of the older ones we found at a yard sale. I have dishes now that fill that China cabinet...including my China collection started when we were married. I could not imagine having the warehouse Martha must have to store all she has...yet, thanks to our solar water heater needing to be located in the garage, a hallway closet became wondrously available, and I have proceeded to fill it with my yard sale treasures. I have fun, funky, and colorful dishes, bowls, serving pieces. Today was no exception...found a wonderful set of 16 place settings of "barn" dishes. I just love them. Problem: my closet has become quite crowded. Hence, those of you who come to my house and see the table set, and think I am so prepared, now know that I have no other place to store the lovely set of black dishes that decorate my orange jack o lantern covered tablecloth, so the table is full...and so is the space by my wall near the bed...and behind hubby's chair...uh oh...I think I have answered my own question!

No comments: