Thursday, November 12, 2009

I Wish...

Today, I am full of wishes, for today is a very special day; a day that changed my whole life, some 28 years ago. Today is my sweet Allison's birthday. And so, since it is her birthday, I think I will make wishes...

I wish Daddy could have gone into your bedroom, with a Snickers Bar, at 1:02 A.M. to be the first to celebrate. Allison waited to come to the earth...she was to be induced the next morning, but she has always done her things in her way, and it has always been best. When she finally decided to come, there was no stopping her...Dad didn't even get to park the truck at the old Good Samaritan Hospital...and they were trying to get my doc to hurry and get there. That is Allison...NOTHING stops her, even to this very day!

I wish I could be there to see the wonderful things your sweet hubby and kids did last night to greet you this morning. Every birthday, Allison and Michael decorate the house: streamers, balloons, and a specially made happy birthday banner. Allison does this for her family, and I think it just makes the miles she has to be away from all the other family that much smaller.

I wish I could make your favorite: Chicken A La King. That is one of Allison's favorite meals. She really was always pretty easy going as a child. She always wanted to make everyone happy, so she never really disliked much of anything, except for beef, and touching raw meat. So, when she did say she really liked something, that was what she got. She is such a great cook now. She was ALWAYS a great baker, candy maker, etc. but she had to work a little harder to like making the main dish stuff (that ol' meat thing again!)She does so much to make sure everyone eats healthy, eats well, and she is amazing with a budget! another wish for me!

I wish I could be there to help you more! There are sooooo many times I would just love to run up there and help play with Grace, or listen to Adam read, or watch kids while she is going to appointments...it's that ol' 5 hour trip that keeps me from being there ALL the time! I am so excited to be able to get to go up there soon to help with the grandbabies when number 3 makes his appearance.

I wish for you to have peace that you WILL be able to handle "mom of three" just as well as you have handled all other challenges. You are a fantastic mom. When I am there, I see how much she does to make sure my grandchildren are taught everything: how to study the scriptures, how to pray, how to clean up their toys, how to read, how to empty the dishwasher, how to be obedient, how to magnify their church calling, how to serve, how to be a good friend, how to be a good neighbor, to be patient and kind and loving and...well, I could just go on and on. New little one is so very blessed to have you for his mommy.

I wish for your dreams to come true, just like you made mine come true. You, my dear sweet Allison, made me a mom...the one thing I wanted to be since I was very little. I remember sitting one day at the back of the Relief Society Room, just gazing at you. Someone came up to me and said, "You sure do love that baby!" and yes, I surely do, and love all the babies that followed you. When you gaze into your baby's eyes, you don't see the challenges...you see them reading their first words, losing their first tooth, dancing, playing ball, going to school, graduating...and my dear, you made all those dreams come true for me! And then, to top it all off...you made me a Grammy! I never knew how much I would love that! It's like loving, your heart doesn't have to share the love...it just gets bigger and bigger with each sweet person that enters your life!

Thank you, Allison, for being the answer to prayer and hope and all there is to dream about. And here's also to many, many more years of being a Mommy and a sister and a daughter and a leader and a teacher and a wife and all that you wish to be. And make some wishes of your own, this very special day.

I love you!

1 comment:

Scooby and Jon said...

That was a very sweet letter. Thank you for sharing!