Thursday, December 16, 2010

O Christmas Tree

 This is our main family tree...and it's absolutely covered with ornaments! We used to chop down a real tree...until the bark beetle...So, we have an artificial one now...and it doesn't hold as many, but I put as many on as I can.
I love looking at Christmas trees. I love putting up our trees, though I complain...a lot! Every ornament is not just a bauble on the tree...It is a memory. A memory of a cub scout den and noodles glued on a piece of cardboard, surrounding a cubbie's smiling picture. It's salt dough rolled out and chubby little hands taking their pick of a cookie cutter, pressing it, and baking it. It's the beautiful glass balls that once hung on hubby's tree when he was small.
These sweet snowmen...all made by my babies in their kindergarten/first grade classes. Just missing one...guess Nate's school didn't do snowmen! I always put up
right together. They are on clothes pins, but they face different ways, so it's hard to get them facing the same way.
This egg...over 30 years old...When I was absolutely in love with hubby before he was even fiancee, or even noticed me, for that matter, I made him a little Easter basket. I had painted this egg, with his name on it, his 1960 Ford Pick up, and this-in remembrance of his church mission, along with a chef's apron I embroidered.
 
It's creations from loved ones who are not with us any more...the Santa and stick horse from Aunt Bonnie, the crocheted socks from Grandma Vera, the sweetly painted and fired baby Jesus and Mary from Grandma Dorothy...
 
 These sweet booties were made for my first angel baby, by an equally angelic friend, who recommended my obstetrician for that first baby, because he had delivered seven of her babies. We had her eighth, and my second, within days of each other. We would sit in a dressing room - days before mothers' rooms at church- and nurse our sons, and talk. I learned so much from her. She was strong, and would defend her children to her death. I cried on the first Sunday at a new ward (LDS church) because I hadn't appreciated the wisdom I had been blessed with from my older friends, like her. Later, she was the victim of breast cancer. Even in her death, she taught me to love life, and to live it without worrying what others have.


the cross stitched elves from Nano, the adorably sewn Mrs. Claus from Grandma. Its the ornaments painted and given from a neighbor, in honor of a Church calling.

This sweet angel, with yellowed tape, was on my first Christmas gift, and was always hung on our tree. Until my dad found a spire to put on it (Never could figure that out...he loved architecture and Frank Loyd Wright...so maybe...) The Shroeder...came from Sister Hamblin, my piano teacher. She was the most patient, calm person...loved her!) The wreath/pig...that is my annual ornament I paint for this year.
 Cross stitched treasures from Nano...The bottom of our tree is child safe...all "stuffy puffy" ones. No worry about breaking any!


It's just so, so much. Every time I walk by, I look, and remember...

Another tree... The Outdoorsman Tree...Dee had been given TONS of hunting and fishing ornaments...so he now has a special place for his!







And since I was born on July 4th...Independence Day...I have a tree that is all red, white and blue.
 This wonderful ornament was given to me by the awesome people that my hubby supervised. He had to transfer to another division, and, when he left, they had a luncheon for him. I was invited. We walked in, and a room FULL of people cheered for him. Silly guy, he thought no one liked him! Anyway, they gave me this adorable ornament, cuz I always sent in Texas Sheet Cake for them. Little did they know that their's would end up being my favorite ornament...I just love them and their kind thanks EVERY time I made them a cake...for the way they recognized just HOW SUPER my sweet hubby is...and for the great people they were. I think that was hubby's favorite job.
  So many ornaments. Even my annual ornament began to have red, white and blue on it, except for this year. Can you believe it...I forgot!

There they are...the trees I love. And, I have an attic with boxes of ornaments that don't fit...waiting for a child to need some for theirs. Memories...happy, happy memories.

2 comments:

How Sweet It Is-A lifestyle blog said...

Awww how beautiful! Love your first tree with all those memories!
Merry Christmas from Dallas, Texas

Patty

peachytiffers said...

Beautiful! How fun!