Friday, December 17, 2010

The Real Reason...

Christmas gets so busy...with all the regular stuff we need to do, and, to top it off, you get to wrap presents, shop, attend concerts, help high schoolers get ready for finals, decorate, send cards...Often, I am ashamed to say, I don't stop and think. We used to read a special holiday story every night, but this year, with kids coming home late from work, hubby and I are usually exhausted by "reading time".

Thank goodness for bloggers...I saw a cute nativity someone had made the other day, and a link to others who had made their own nativities to display. That is one thing I DO have. I have many wonderful nativities, including three I have made myself. I went in the living room, took pictures of the ones I wanted to include and share,
 This sweet one I found in one one of my books. I just loved painting it. Just the sweetest people. And the best...I love the little lamb that just peeks up to see the Baby Jesus.

 This one is another favorite. Originally, I just liked the sweet faces, so I bought the instructions to paint it. It was only when I began to trace and paint that it was children, dressed up to show a "living nativity". The baby Jesus is in a wash bucket. The children have dish towels and blankets on their heads. The "camel" is a horse with a pillow on his back. There are even children in wheelchairs, both in the choirs and in the kings. I just love it!
I made this one with the women at church. However, I didn't like the primitive faces they had, so I made my own. It is a puzzle that all fits in the stable, though the pieces don't  spend much time in there!

and looked at my other ones. It is amazing just a simple act of stopping...and looking...and pondering...can do for your priorities. I took just a few moments out of the busy day, and yet, it gave me a moment...

As I read my scriptures every morning, I often read references to "pondering". Pondering can happen while you load the dishwasher or wash the dishes, while you hang up the laundry, while you wait before the college choir concert begins. All it takes is for each one of us to take that time to do it...to ponder. I am now more refreshed.


Thank goodness for these beautiful remembrances...to help us remember the birth of our Savior.

 

2 comments:

Sassy Sites! said...

Thanks for linking up to Sassy Sites! Once I clicked over to your blog and saw there was a nativity parade going on... I decided to just link up to that! I love your nativity! xoxo!!

peachytiffers said...

You have amazing painting skills! My mom used to toll paint. You should do something with her. I bet she'd resist and say that you paint much better than her. I didn't get to see your ornament this year. She always shows it to me. :)