Saturday, October 13, 2018

Week of October 7-13, 2018

Highlights:

Spiritual
We enjoyed a wonderful day of General Conference on Sunday. This Conference, I felt like there were more than a few talks I want to print up and seriously study. I began listening on Monday morning as I exercised and did so all week. I also completed reading the October Ensign Magazine.

This week was Stake Temple Week so no scout meetings. I attended the temple on Tuesday morning to perform initiatory work, and Dee and I attended a session on Thursday evening. With the Mesa Temple being remodeled for two years, and the Gilbert Temple shut down for nearly a month, our temple is very very busy, with longer waits and full sessions. It's a nice challenge to have.

We attended the adult meeting Saturday night for Stake Conference and enjoyed the talk given by the General Authority.

I have indexed 15838 records and reviewed 56066 records so far this year.

I am in 3 Nephi 24 in my Book of Mormon reading.

This week, I have been on a Social Media Fast, as requested by President Russell M. Nelson during the Women's Session of General Conference. I originally did this in March, during a very politically charged time locally, because so many were expressing disturbing opinions and I had to associate and work with them at church. I stopped commenting and began looking at Social Media as something that needs to bring light in my life, and if some were sharing things that caused upset or hard feelings in my life, I would eliminate those from my media. I removed my birthday notification and only would wish children and grandchildren Happy Birthday and that was surprisingly liberating and so enjoyable. As the months continued, I would only comment words of encouragement. I would, of course, follow my family members, but it was so freeing to just stay on and feel positivity. In years past, I would also stay off Social Media in the weeks before and after Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Mother's day. I was happy and content until I saw what others did, so I just eliminated that from my life. All that being said, I have found the last seven days somewhat isolating, since I don't see anyone from church and have no neighbors or friends I do things with. I do include people with illness and challenges in their lives in my prayers, and I have not had any more word on their situations...kind of hard but okay. I feel that the Spirit guided me months ago as to what I needed to do, and I am grateful for that. I will make it through till Wednesday and then enjoy what I do on FaceBook and Instagram.

Family

The Wilkins Family
The Wilkins Family is struggling through illness but is doing well. Adam was off school with strep throat and probably has a tonsillectomy in his future. Grace was also home sick. She did have wonderful news this week: she was selected after an audition to be in her school dramatic production. She is very excited! Sam is doing great and gave me a wonderful tour of their Halloween decorations and lights around their home. Grace and Josh will be a part of their Stake Conference Children's Choir next Sunday.

The Ethan Rice Family
Hurricane Michael brought lots of wind and rain this week to this family, but they all are well. Cameo was surprised that, even with all the rain, Kaylee's class field trip to Southern Belle Farms for all their Fall fun was not a muddy mess, but was nice. I did see the pumpkin Wadey picked too. 


























And while they were gone, Amber and Kelsie had a special dinner out. 


The Doran Rice Family
Doran and family had a good week. Kooper called Papa on Friday and asked if he wanted to go fishing, so Doran came by and picked up Papa for an overnight trip to Bartlett Lake.







Morgan
We called Morgan on Sunday afternoon and got to meet Aimee and her daughter Emleigh via phone. They are doing well.

Kayty
Kayty had a good work week and worked long hard days...an answer to prayer. We have been praying that her work load increases so they can justify hiring her permanently. 
She celebrated Lily's birthday on Saturday...




The Nathan Rice Family
We spoke a couple of times on Sunday via FaceTime. The girls found a new playhouse at Deseret Industries, and they were enjoying their new home in their bedroom. Jessica even added a string of white Christmas lights to the ceiling. It was not a healthy day for this family. Ellie was running a 103 fever and Jessica was fighting one as well. The girls did feel better and had a good week. They decorated the walls with black cats and spiders (the stick on kind).

Dad's Garden
Garden is struggling, though not due to weather, water or sunlight...it is varmints. Rabbits, rats, mice, quail, etc have been eating everything in sight and he lost the tops of many snow peas the other night. Tomato plants seem to be surviving. 


Other highlights
We had thunder and rain while we slept on Sunday. It was delightful to snuggle under the covers and have the cool air coming in the window for the first time in so long. We also had dark clouds and thunder in the early evening that we so enjoyed. Summer wasn't that bad, but it is so nice to finally have a cool Fall and enjoy the outdoors. We received rain Thursday morning...five minutes after I returned from my jog. Wow! What a blessing!



No comments: