Saturday, May 17, 2008

An Amazing Moment



Every once in a while, my children bless me with an amazing moment; one of those times you just feel pure joy, and you make sure you put that safely in your mind, ready to be recalled anytime you might feel sad. I have had those moments, given to me by each of my amazing children. There are quite a few: Ethan being voted a Little League All Star, Doran saying goodbye at the MTC, Allison receiving her college diploma, Michael walking down a hospital hallway with a blanketed bundle breathing on his own: Adam. Well, yesterday, Kaity gave me one of those moments, and I shall never forget.

It was her final show at her school. She performs with the advanced choir and the girl's vocal jazz ensemble (an amazing group of talented gifted young women who just sing so well!)


She had auditioned for a solo with vocal jazz, and got a big one, but then she told me she just felt more comfortable letting someone else get the part. I was okay with that...her last concert and I just wanted her to have a wonderful time. She then instructed me that I didn't need to look at the program...she told me where she would be singing and all. I was a bit suspicious, but I thought maybe she was playing a piano solo as well, or something. The girls were singing, "My Romance", the song I knew someone else was singing the solo on. I sat and enjoyed the beautiful music,and then looked at the girl that was suppposed to sing her solo ... Leana wasn't singing...who was? I looked and the beautiful solo was coming from my Kaity! I was going to continue taking photos, but then I stopped. Hey, I am going to see this in person, not from behind a camera lens! I was so proud and I burst into tears (sorry Rice kids and inlaws...you are stuck with a blubbering mother!!)

Her song was beautiful, and just perfect. It made the whole number! Thanks to the Vocal Jazz girls for not being too distracted by a crying mom and nano, to Daddy and Grandma keeping the secret, and Kaity for a wonderful surprise and for giving me an amazing moment I will never, ever forget!

No comments: