Friday, May 2, 2008

Revenge is Sweet, or Paybacks Suck!

My opportunity to transport my youngest two children to and from school each day has never, ever been dull. Each day, there comes yet another "experience", and today was no different.

First, some background. Every day, I take Kate and Nathan from seminary, down the crowded I-17 freeway, stopping first at Kate's school for her drop off, and then to Nathan's school. Every morning, as Kate gets out of the car and gathers her things to go into school, Nathan transforms into "Grouchy Old Man", growling in a deep and aged tone, "Hurry up! Faster! Faster!" over and over. It seems to unnerve Kate, though she does, once in a while, take her own sweet time getting her things and going into the school. However, this action also gets a response from "Grouchy Old Man" and he honks the car horn at her over and over, and then yells some grouchy comment to her, or another student. I have threatened him for the honking and yelling, but, sometimes, his comments are quite amusing, especially the "Pull Your Pants Up" comments made to the red headed drummer.

Fast forward to this morning. Kate had to be at school at 8:oo for a performance at another school, but I-17 was not its usual parking lot, so it was too early for her to get to school, so we took Nathan first. All was well, we got into his school parking lot, and he started to get out. All of a sudden, Kate leaned from the back seat to front, and began honking the horn over and over. Nathan hurried on, trying to ignore the noise and the stares from his fellow students. Then, she yelled, at the top of her lungs, "I LOVE YOU NATHAN." I don't know what his face looked like, but I swear to you that the back of his hair was as red as a beet! I couldn't even get mad at Kate, for I was almost laughing uproariously. No warning, no plan, and she got him back!!

I dread the ride home...

No comments: