Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Senior Night

Senior Night...the final home game for the seniors. I had never before experienced Senior Night till Nate's sophomore year at North Pointe. I thought it was just a nice "North Pointe" Thing...Then, the next year, when I attended a final season game as a visitor. And I heard others talk...this is now an "every high school" thing. I had seen the date on the calendar, and gave the info to all the family so they could be at the game, if at all possible.


We turned and watched as they ran in...Nate was second through the falcon football sign that the cheerleaders hold. It was his last time to run on the field at the beginning of a game...mom tears began.
We got to stand down with Nate, before the game, where the Assistant Principal introduced each Senior, their parents, and read a bit about them and their future plans. This year was North Pointe's first with so many seniors! We waited through quite a few band members, flag line members, cheerleaders, and then football players.

The game was awesome, though we were not victorious, we did get two touchdowns! Nathan's played offensive lineman, defensive lineman, and was on the kickoff return team (he only was out a few moments of the game! A far cry from his sophomore season of being IN the game for a few moments!)

The only sad part was that he didn't get to be a captain at the coin toss (coach wanted ALL the seniors, but was limited to 4 for the 1st half, 3 for the 2nd half...luck of the draw!)
 
Well, I shouldn't say the only sad part...because I stood in the stands, when the game was over, hands of "good game" were shaken, a final prayer of thanks for safety with the Valley Christian High players...and watched sweet wonderful, burley and tough football players, crying their eyes out, hugging their coach, hugging each other, not wanting to leave that field...and then, outside the locker room...we waited and waited and waited...for seniors who knew that outside the locker room meant high school football was over.

You know, I have been going on and on this year about the wonderful and happy "lasts" I have been having... until this "last". Nate and I looked at each other, all week long, but never discussed...I just told him to have fun, to enjoy, to take all of it in...and I really think he did! This, for me, was a very bittersweet "last". I don't have to worry each and every game about injuries. The miles on the car are cut in half. He actually is home, and awake. The smell is almost gone (when we finally turn in that huge bag his gear goes it, I think that will be the end of that.) But, it was sad to think that all these years of work and sweat and tears and aches and eating...all of that is over, at least for now. As he said, "Mom, I'm just gonna enjoy it. Never ever again will I be able to play both offense and defense...the whole game," And he did...and then some!

P.S. Thanks to all the family who could come. Ethan took the night off work and was there with Cameo, Cam's parent's - Wade and Liz Wallin - were there...just like family to us! Grandma and Nano came. Nate's Jessica, plus her friends Cassie and Pamela, and Doran and Danyel got there for the end. All of you made Senior Night the BEST!

2 comments:

CB said...

This almost made me tear up! I remember Senior night when my oldest son played football and it is really a sad thing for all of their "lasts" in High School!
I am so glad your son got to enjoy it so much and had so much support from family and friends. He sounds like he was a real asset to his team!

Heather said...

That would be a hard thing to watch your son have is last game at home knowing how much he loves to play.

I don't look forward to seeing my little girl graduating. I know it will be here before I know it!