Monday, June 30, 2014

Week of June 23 - 29, 2014

My week begins because of one of the talks I heard in Sacrament Meeting at church on Sunday. It was regarding prayer, and how our evening prayer should be a report to Heavenly Father on how the day went: the good, the not so good, the cares and concerns, and I began that. I also was going to start my Book of Mormon reading with a journal, to kind of record how the reading I had done affected me. Plus, we are counseled by church leaders to keep a journal, which I don't do because who would ever what to read the boredom that is my life, but I was thinking that perhaps what would help each of us is to be able to have a place to record how we feel, and that maybe that alone would alleviate the need for medications for depression. Anyway, I thought I should try it, though I really don't want anyone to read it.  As it was, I  had no draft book to start it, so I decided to begin on Monday night. 

Monday - My morning prayer was one of gratitude…the other part of the Sunday talk that touched me…which really was nice to think about just all that I am thankful for. One of my concerns was watching Kaylee this week: I just want to have a safe, happy, enriching place for her, and sometimes I just get concerned. Kaylee came, and we had a good time just playing with cups and stuff in the baby pool on the porch. Then she wanted to go out again…when it was much hotter, which pool play isn't a problem, nor is eating fresh grapes right off the vine, but the playground and sand and pushing around three times on the tricycle is…and I was really beginning to think my prayers were all in vain. But, she did have fun, and took a good nap and I got more of Jessica's stocking done and the rest of the time went well, and though she thought we had a  bee in the house that was really a fly but scared her to death, she didn't run to Mommy when she came. Nate's truck had drive shaft rebuild problems, and we offered him a couple of solutions, so he went to talk to Jess. Kayty seemed to be having a blast in Vegas, which is always good. Dee cleaned the pool filters and worked on the pool, and I brushed it early.

Tuesday - Woke up, exercised, woke Dee, dusted, cleaned, vacuumed, and Kaylee kept me hopping all day. I keep trying for some sort of routine, but it isn't happening. She took a good nap, until Dee sneezed…and sneezed…and sneezed…sneezes that people in China complain about…and she woke up saying, 'Achoo'. We made it through the day and she was happy to be here, and happy to go home. Dee's pack meeting was flaky and poorly attended…Cub Scouts right now are sad! Nate came by with a new distributor for the van…we said a prayer that this would be the fix, since we have repaired and replaced everything else. I am just surely praying that this is the solution and the van gets them on to Idaho and their future. Kayty came back and worked late, and I was doggone tired by 9 pm. STill working on my prayers and journal keeping.

.Wednesday - I was awakened very early by a phone call...It was Morgan with a friendly greeting. Dee and I were so glad he was okay and safe, though he was in New Mexico with some vehicle trouble. Kaylee arrive and wanted more water play in the little pool. It was kind of an odd day with her, mostly because we kept getting phone calls from Morgan and little ones pick up on those stressful signals. She fought and fought taking a nap, but finally fell asleep, and that nap turned into an over two hour one! The evening was normal, with Nate and Jess stopping the van running! weld up the tailgate for his truck that Dee had been working on. I was dead at bedtime, so my journal keeping and scriptures were put on the back burner. It really is more of a time commitment to write and ponder, rather than just read.

Thursday - I didn't get much outdoor work done before Kaylee came...Dee has a 7 am meeting on Thursdays that I have to be quite through, so I vacuum like a maniac before that! She had a fun time outdoors in the little pool, and she sure enjoyed the ice cream bar that Papa gave her while we were looking at the grapes in the gazebo. We called it her "happy 18 month birthday' treat. Kayty was off work, and when she woke up, she visited and even went swimming, which Kaylee joined her for. Funny, Kaylee is very cautious with me, but with daredevil Aunt Kayty, she was ready to try swimming on her own. We were right there, but I am amazed at Kayty's effect...on ALL her nieces and nephews! Nate and Jess came by, to work on the truck and to load boxes in the van...they want to leave next Tuesday.

Our lights had been flickering in the kitchen and we assumed we needed to replace one breaker, but all night long, we had power off and power on. Dee checked (while carrying one of my solar yard lights - don't ask what I thought when the reflection of a yard light was on my ceiiling at 2 am) and discovered the main breaker was arcing...bad news. We turned the a/c off and were warm all night, though the ceiling fans still would work.

Friday - Woke up running or exercising since I didn't need to feel any warmer. I finally texted Cameo and she made arrangements for Grandma Liz to care for Kaylee today. I did minimal, and Dee got ahold of Gary Wilkins (Allison's wonderful father in law) to come help. He was great, and got us a new breaker, which wouldn't fully install, so we needed APS (the local power company) to turn off the meter...which ended up being a loooong process, requiring City of Phoenix permits, etc. Dee and Gary ended up filing down the old main breaker, and Gary felt it would make it until cooler weather comes in November and Dee can install a new electrical panel. Fun Fun. I had no idea what to do with my extra time, since I hadn't planned for anything, so I just went from no accomplishment to no accomplishment, though I did get Nate and Jess's Kitchenaid safely packed up to load. Dee had a rough day at work, with his tech lead correcting some of his work, looking at his Outlook plans, etc. Nothing earth shattering...Dad wants to solve problems. They want him to fill out spreadsheets. It is time to give up and do it their way. I helped him for an hour with one of this bi-annual evaluations...takes 3 days to fill out more spreadsheets on goals and achievements...and got a rough draft sent off. We ran out, went to the bank, got Dad a $2 sub at Subway, and then waited for Nate to come and work on the truck. While we waited, we ended up pruning one of our mesquite trees...I hate all mesquites this time of year...and after load after load of dragging stickery branches out to our pile, since the trailer is full of palm fronds, we got one tree done. We waited for Nate all evening, but he must have had other things to do.

Saturday - I ran to the Phoenix Temple and back, brushed the pool, and pruned a front yard mesquite. I determined the pruners were awful!!! We headed to yard sales early, got 2 Sit and Spins for grandkids to use here, a router table, and some snow boots for little kids. We came home and saw Nate wasn't here to work, so we texted him that we would go out to Savers. WE stopped to check on the laundry situation at the stake center (no wet baptismal clothing to launder!), got me new pruners, hit a couple of thrift stores for a new transformer, Dee had lunch at his favorite Chinese place (I am not a fan, so I had water), and then headed home. Still no Nate...I guess he was working overtime. We weren't sure how long he would be, so we kept filling in with projects till he would come: Dee worked on refinishing a 10 dollar yard sale wheelbarrow for me. I cleaned and dusted. Then, our power started freaking out again. We called Gary again, and he kindly went and picked up that new breaker...again. We visited and decided to install when the sun went down, so Dee and I waited, watched for Nate, and he worked on the wheelbarrow, and I pruned mesquite and pulled branches to the pile. Nate drove up, exhausted, and tried his best to complete the truck, but the pan wouldn't go on, and Dad went when Gary returned to install the main breaker...which worked!!!!...and I worked on trying to help with pipes on the truck, but poor Nate had worked 11 1/2 hours, and hadn't eaten, and the paint gun wouldn't work, and it was just a total give up for the night. He returned home to his sweet wife and we finished up what we could. It had been a long long week with so many , many things happening, and the floodgates opened in stress, and tears...all night. I did write in my journal, but I don' t think I ever want to remember this!

Sunday - I tried to pull things together. Church was great, and our Sacrament Meeting included my two favorite talks during last General Conference...the ones that touched me...and I sat, touched again, and with the events of the week I just was overcome. After Sacrament, my sweet Relief Society President came over to hug me...and to see if I was ok...and then Joy Black, Kim Meikle, and Wanda Calhoun came to see and talk. I told them all was was just a culmination of many little things that just burst forth. I tell you, though, I have NEVER ever felt like the Lord was looking down, right at me, and letting me know that He loved me: the talks (I only printed two and keep them in my scriptures, and those were the two!) and then the circle of friends. Their love meant so much and I knew that the Lord sent them...for me! So wonderful. I helped Dee scan some old photos while he home taught...Nate and Jess came by for a visit, and all the stress of the week began to peel away. My lights didn't flicker on and off. Kayty went to her Sacrament meeting. She tried Scottsdale…when she referred to it on her return as Snobsdale, I knew that wasn't a good fit for her. She is just having a hard time trying to find a ward to fit into. I hope she does find one. Dee grilled chicken with a new sauce…not that great, but then I don't eat chicken much. He did grill a zucchini he grew and it was great. Later, I was taking care of the chickens when we had a surprise visit from Ethan, Cameo, and Kaylee. So nice! I fell right to sleep, but Kayty was up watching her dvd's all night! Crazy!

This week proved to be memorable…and hopefully, forgettable. I learned so much, though. Journal: not going to go that route now. I found that if I allow enough time to read and write, very often I don't do either. We were blessed by some great, wonderful people! We grew in love for our children, and even more for our Heavenly Father. He loves us all, allows us to experience challenges and trials for us to grow, reminds us of what and who is truly important, and reminds us to not sweat the small stuff. Sorry for no pictures…I was so busy I couldn't…and doubt that I would have...

No comments: