Sunday, July 6, 2014

Week of June 30 to July 6 2014

Monday - I had a good run, though I am starting to be a sweaty mess upon returning. It's near 90 degrees, even at 4:30 am. I worked in the grapevines, and pruned some more grapes off. I heard Nathan out in front. It was the last day of preparation for them to leave, and he began by getting his truck as together as he could and prepared to tow to Jessica's.






 I had to leave for a dermatologist appointment for a skin cancer scan. They found two spots that they ended up biopsying...not a big deal until the Novocaine wore off. Nate was leaving as I returned, with a huge list to get done. I cleaned and my new visiting teacher came over. She is wonderful and we had a great visit. Nate and Jess returned to get tires from one vehicle to the other, oil and pack up the rest of his stuff.
Jessica watched how to add freon to her car on youtube and set out to do it. 

All too soon, it was time for him to get to Jessica's...we said our goodbyes (I am NOT a good bye fan!) and watched as the van left our house for the last time.




This van carried our family up Highway One in California,  to Yellowstone and The Grand Tetons, moved kids to Flagstaff, hauled miles to baseball and football games, dance practices, piano recitals, graduations, weddings, and even a couple of funerals, provided us with a second income from disc jockeying (and through that disc jockeying even provided a few prom dates...and a wife)  served as Santa's Vegas Sleigh and moved a whole piano. It was deemed unfixable, but one more thing was tried...and it worked. Thanks for the wonderful memories, van. Now, on to your new...and cooler...home in Teton, Idaho.
We couldn't sell it for much, and it was going to be too much work for Mike, so we let Nathan take over (rather than an illegal buy it for little and smuggle people across the border).
We ate taco soup, and I kept things as cool as I could, since sweating brought my biopsy spots great pain!

Tuesday - I hiked early, ran to Safeway for milk, and got the pool brushed, the chickens out and fed, and more grapes pruned off. I had to get Dee up and off early, and then I set in for my list of chores: bathroom scrubbing, dusting, vacuuming. I do much better with a list! I even started getting the stuff Nate didn't have time to get up into the attic ready for that. I find that I don't miss things so much when I can get a place organized, so it was very good for me. Once I figured that he hadn't forgotten anything, I boxed up and packed up. He made it to Vegas, and then to Utah where he planned to arrive, with Jessica in her vehicle, at Sharynn's for the night. Our evening was filled with yard work. Dee sprayed the white flies on the grapevines. Yes, grapevines are TONS of work! I babied those sunflowers in my back yard, which did NOT like today's heat. I raked some needles, got the other rake out and ready for more work the next morning. Dee helped me load the heavy stuff of Nate's up in the attic and the office was much cleaner. The next chore was for Dee to get his stuff cleaned up and out. My bandaids came off of the biopsy spots and I could shower...which was great after the sweating I did.

Wednesday - Ran this morning. I just ran to the temple and back. My favorite start to the day is running to that Phoenix temple. The day was full of work: cleaning, vacuuming, mopping, and pruning the mesquite trees. I cut with my clippers and then hauled them out to the pile out in front. It is tiring work and I cannot remember why we have the doggone mesquite trees anyway.Mom and Kathy stopped by to bring my birthday card...such a nice visit. Dee pruned and I hauled later.  In the midst of all my silly complaining, Adam called to let us know Mike had been in a car accident in their neighborhood. Prayers were said, and answered, as he could have been very, very hurt, and just missed. We were so thankful he was all right! Nate and Jess sent pics of their new apartment




Thursday - I ran, cleaned, and dusted. Cameo took me out to lunch at Souper Salad. She and Ethan also gave me the cutest people for my North Pole Village, and I put them out on my shelf as soon as I got home.

Dee cooked his grilled half chickens for the missionaries, and I made cabbage salad and beans...Fry's and I made apple pie for dessert. We shopped at Harbor Freight (blech!) . As we sat at home, I went out in the back yard...and it was pouring rain! It hasn't rained since Nate came home from his mission. (When we texted him, he said Arizona was crying because it missed him.) We were just blessed with rain, but many other areas had much wind and even some damage. Monsoon 2014 is here in Arizona.

Friday - Happy Birthday to me! My favorite thing to do every birthday is to hike Thunderbird Mountain Park, either on the morning of my birthday, or right before it if we are planning to be away. I got up at 4:20 am, and went in to check Kayty. She didn't seem right, and sure enough, her blood glucose was below 41. It only took one can of soda and some Starbursts to bring her back. I was so thankful something told me she wasn't right, since she really seemed fine. I checked my computer and was greeted with a Happy Birthday from Allison and family: so nice. I then headed out, complete with patriotic hat and Old Navy shirt, and was greeted at the park with this:

I took a flag and headed up the mountain. It was the BEST hike ever, with the clouds and humidity...and cooler temps...from the rain the night before, and no dust on the trail.
I made it up to the top, and finally got a decent selfie.
After hiking down, I returned the flag to the bin for the next hiker, and headed to Safeway, where I picked up cookies and patriotic goldfish crackers. I received many many wonderful Facebook birthday greetings. I got texts and calls from my kids, and updates on Ethan and Cam in California. Nate and Jess had begun purchasing items to furnish their apartment and they were so excited. Dorrie came by, and Doran, Amber, Kelsie and Kooper brought a beautiful gift that they had made




and then headed up to Prescott.

Dad and I went to see the D'Nesh DeSouza movie "America", which gave us much to think about and be thankful for, as well as goals to set so that the true stories of our country and our forefathers can be shared with our family. My mom faithfully called, and left a message, at 3:14 pm...the time I was born...Dee worked on the lawn, painted more chairs and worked on my wheelbarrow, and we watched Macy's Fourth of July Fireworks...on the couch...in air conditioning...under the ceiling fan: PURE HEAVEN.
From Kayty
Saturday  Those doggone biopsy spots are killing me. One is right on my collar bone, where my purse handles hang, and where everything hits and thus hurts. We yard saled a bit: got a cute Little Tikes Doll house for my playroom. We were in charge of the Stake Baptism this month, and we had two wonderful children choose to be baptized. I just love serving in this calling. I get to greet and welcome these special eight year olds on the day of their first Covenant they make! All went well, and a few hours later, we had the building all cleaned up and locked, and we grabbed some salad makings and headed home.  Dee worked on completing my birthday presents:




Ethan had to fix Kayty's best friend on the earth: her television that would only show in black and white (Oh, how that poor, poor girl must have suffered!!!!) They visited for a bit and shared pics from their adventure with Kaylee at Ocean Beach in San Diego. She was still satisified with Grammy and Papa's sandbox...I guess it's because we have more seashells in our sandbox than one can ever find on a beach! We did MORE yard work, and I got the baptismal clothing all laundered and so returned it to the stake center, got Dee a new dress shirt at WalMart and headed home. I hit the bathtub to rinse off my wounds and fell asleep.

Sunday - Happy Birthday, Baby Sister Sharynn!



Hmmm...no fireworks for you, huh? Sorry! (insert evil laugh...) Church was wonderful, as always, and I came home to blog while Dee sat in a boring cub scout committee meeting. When I went to pick him up, I took these:

It's almost done!

We attempted some family history work in the afternoon, but our computer is so slow that we just gave up. Dinner was blech. Complaints were being issued about the scheduled dinners so I asked everyone to give me suggestions. When no suggestions come, it has been interesting to see what happens. Tonight: leftover broccoli, salad (that had bitter lettuce that I couldn't eat) and goldfish crackers. Blech.

Well, that was the week. I sit here, wishing these doggone biopsy spots would heal, or that they would have just removed the offending spot. I worry about having to go through this more intensely...there were a couple of times this week I would have liked to swim, but didn't dare. My pains will end...I feel for those who are struggling through what doesn't always end with a bandaid and a couple of weeks healing. Those are the tough wounds!

No comments: