Sunday, November 12, 2017

Week of November 5 - 11, 2017

Highlights:

Spiritual
We enjoyed a wonderful Southwest Area Conference Broadcast on Sunday morning. In the initial half hour that was locally run, our choir was invited to sing "Master, The Tempest Is Raging" which is one of my favorite songs to sing, but I missed the initial singing since I was away enjoying my Idaho family. Anyway, it was just a sweet and fun blessing to be able to sing that song. I enjoyed Elder Christofferson's talk, reminding us of some of the things President Monson, our prophet, has said in recent talks. We had planned on visiting Aunt Betty Wetzel on our afternoon with no church, but she was unable to have us over, so I prepared scouts for the week and Dad read the General Conference Ensign Magazine.

For Cub Scouts this week, we colored Thank You Cards and I mailed them to the ten veterans in our ward on Thursday. The boys actually colored for a few minutes before getting very distracted. Seven sweet but very active eight year old boys is proving to be a challenge for both Sister Day and I.

Doran attended a session at the Phoenix Temple on Wednesday evening.

I have indexed 32712 records so far this year.

I am in 2 Nephi 27 in the Book of Mormon.

Family

The Wilkins Family
The Wilkins had a good week, and had hoped to have their own family back yard campout on Friday night. The kids spent hours setting up tents etc.  However, the neighbors were having a crazy loud party so the campout was postponed. They attended the Veteran's Day Parade on Saturday.



The Ethan Rice Family
Sunday was a busy day last week: two parties and a baby shower. They only got to get to the birthday parties but had a good time and enjoyed the lovely weather.











We Facetimed with Ethan and Cameo on Thursday night. Kaylee was in good spirits, though she had been having troubles sleeping. Turns out, a doctor visit on Friday discovered an ear infection. She had a hard time getting the medicine down this time, but Ethan was the hero in getting meds taken so she could sleep. They have been planning Wade's first birthday cake too.

The Doran Rice Family
Doran and Family are doing well.

Morgan
Morgan is in between things. Not sure what is happening but we picked him up Saturday night and he slept on the couch in Dad's office.

Kayty
Kayty had a good week, both with work and with friends she met.


Saw a movie Saturday morning. Health has been good.


The Nathan Rice Family
Nathan has been having great success in some of his classes. He is really good at programming and that helps other students working on their projects. He is working producing a fly reel as well as 3d printing items. All seemed to go well at school this week, and Jessica is nearing completion of her online religion class. Here are some pics from their Halloween trick or treating with their two sweet Snow Whites





Dad's Garden
I picked lettuce for a few salads for Dad this week. This warmer weather is surely confusing our lettuce plants and before they get many leaves on them, they bolt (leaves turn bitter and prepare to go to seed...a typical February/March event.)

Year of the House Part 2
Progress...
The wall built tends to move a bit, so dad spent the week adding support boards before drywall goes on. In addition, to keep the wall stable, dad will build a small cabinet that will hold towels etc and add stability. I don't want an additional post going up to the ceiling on the corner to stabilize.
Other highlights
My cell phone had been acting crazy since Halloween. Morgan tried to fix. Ethan gave us advice on how to fix. I finally ordered a newer one on Monday. Came on Saturday...but I have yet to be able to activate it. Sim card problems it says.

I got the boat vacuumed out...it was full of mesquite tree junk...and we got the new cover put on.

I got all the nativity scenes up by Tuesday. I also got the big tree out of the hut and vacuumed up all the bug and spider swarf in my hut. Sadly I had to get rid of the Styrofoam Nathan had gotten me when he worked at Lowes delivering appliances. Crickets ate it, and then spiders ate the crickets. Dad is applied bait poison in my hut to get rid of the bugs as well as poison some termites. The new Styrofoam is pre treated to be bug resistant so my new foam should be safe.

Christmas tree went up. Netting was also applied in the entryway to keep Lilly out!


I still need to hang the stockings. That's all I am going to do before Thanksgiving (no Dad Hunting Tree or other decorations yet.) I am going to get garland and create two rows of stockings...we have that many now! So glad our family is growing!!

Nano shopping this week included the grocery store, the bank, her hair dresser, and then to church for her little old lady luncheon.

Roasted one turkey to take the meat to Nano. It cooked in that large roaster, a kind of experiment. It cooked very long...too long...so for the 'good' turkey I will cook less time. 

Not so highlights
With so many things needing to happen, I have a list for each week and each day. I am more productive when I have that list. However, there are way too many things putting a monkey into my works...and that has been frustrating at times. Part of it is that I try to do too much. Like rolls. I set a goal to make Thanksgiving rolls at Thanksgiving. I was to test recipes all year. Those tests ended up being in October, and I have yet to make a good roll, though I have tried every 'easy' and 'fool proof'. One more try this week, and if they cannot come out good and relatively easy, I will be at Costco the day before to buy two bags. I am calling Wednesday before Thanksgiving my baking day: pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and maybe rolls. 

No comments: