Tuesday, January 5, 2010

2010 Word Of The Year

“A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can be sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow.”

I have been reading a few blogs (Family Traditions: One Story At A Time)that have talked about selecting a word for the year: a theme of sorts, that sums up what you want for yourself in 2010. I found this very intriguing...and I have thought quite a bit about it. There are so many words that I need to work on: faith, patience, understanding, patience, prayer. I finally came upon one word that brought to me all that I need and want for the year. So, my word is listen

Now, for my explanation...I have been a stay at home mom for 29 years. Thus, I did not finish college. I did not gain many skills that are usable today. (Believe me, I know...I have tried and tried to find a job. My resume must be totally amusing to those looking at it. I even thought I would be good at a part time mail room job, but I had to check the box that asked if I had ever worked in a mail room...and I kicked myself for turning down that opportunity when I was 18 years old to go from Personnel Clerk to Mailroom...what a silly mistake it was to be "loyal to the personnel department".) Anyway, I know we will need me to financially help around here. Hubby's company is outsourcing EVERYTHING, and he soon will face that. And his other endeavors are not as profitable as they once were. I NEED to know what direction I need to take. I have prayed, researched, tried a class (but that is financially out of the question for now), tried, prayed, fasted...and I have not gained any insight. However, am I LISTENING? I get very frustrated with things, situations, relationships...I need guidance. I ask the Lord, but am I LISTENING? I need direction, I need knowledge, I need to know what to do, what steps to take. I have willing hands, and a willing heart, but am I LISTENING? I need to do more for others. I need to serve. I just don't know where to start. I am sure needs are out there, just waiting for me, but am I LISTENING? When my children tell me things, when my hubby shares his feelings, when I talk to my sister, or blog, or Facebook...I read, but do I LISTEN?

So, that is my Word of the Year...Listen. Hey, now it's your turn...what is your
2010 Word Of The Year?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Positive. I like your idea too.