Saturday, January 23, 2010

Saturday Seven

As I have said MANY times... I follow quite a few blogs...have learned so much, seen so much, and gotten so very many ideas: decorating, cooking, crafting, home management, and even blogging! This morning, I found a new challenge, called Saturday Seven on Somewhat Simple. This week's Saturday Seven is "Seven Things I Would Do If My Husband Wouldn't Freak Out".

1. Paint our oak cabinet in the master bathroom black. There is something about a man who can woodwork. My hubby has many, many talents and hobbies (I am so lucky!) and one is that he can make almost anything out of wood. We have spent many hours in past years making pine curio cabinets, oak Barbie Doll houses (four stories, no less!), toy kitchens, shelves, etc, I love the smell of oak when you cut it and sand it...nothing like it. Well, that same person who loves the oak...like our cabinet in the bathroom is made of, ONLY wants the wood stained, not painted. Now, I like the oak cabinets in the kitchen (dated, but I LOVE them, so I just re-urethaned them a couple of years ago. I so would like that neat computer cabinet we found at a yard sale a lovely dark olive green, but there would be NO way I could paint that...but our bathroom cabinet literally has seen 26 years of use, abuse, etc. and the black color would be such an improvement, but...it is solid oak, so, for my woodworker, that is a NO WAY!

2.Buy That Bedspread I found on JCPenney.com...We have NEVER had a real nice room...and that is okay, for I love my living room and my kitchen and my pantry and I have done the kiddos rooms over and over and the kids bath is great...my room...well that is down the hall and still has ceiling damage from the storm 14 or 15 years ago (now, I don't blame him...tried to fix...not good fix...need to remove board on ceiling, move insulation, get new board, etc...and he is a busy guy with projects ALL benefit from) and the bathroom, well the tub pipe broke last year and we have a temp fix and I tore all the dated peach and blue wallpaper off...hoping to be an inspiration...2 years ago. Needless to say, it needs help...however I did paint it the most beautiful green...Glidden Soothing Green Tea...I JUST FINISHED the paint...and I LOVE LOVE LOVE It.and it is now all one color, not 3...and, aside from that ceiling, which I have just learned to ignore...my room makes me happier than it has in YEARS...so I was looking for damask print bedding on the internet yesterday...found one I just LOVE...but it's $169 bucks...way out of our budget now (we are doing great, but have to be very tight...I have even made it 10 days now without going to the grocery store...On Friday he will get a normal check, not a furlough check like the last one...and I can buy things again, though, other than salad and milk, we are doing pretty darned good...anyway, he probably would not mind, but I know it would be a symbol of extravagence that we don't need right now...so...no bedding!

3. Go to bed at 9:00P.M. Now, I get up early...3 am...and exercise, and, later, I run, then wake up the next group, give a foot rub, lay out clothing, make lunches and breakfasts, etc. and I have a pretty full day. At around 9, I want to curl up and snore. However, I have a night owl for hubby. It's not his fault...he says he would love to be in bed then too, but he also has been a private DJ, along with his regular career of being a manufacturing engineer (hence, my ability to be a stay at home mom-hubby has worket at least two, if not three jobs our entire marriage), so staying up late goes with the territory. We have always gone to bed at the same time...almost 30 years...so it's not likely to change, but there is always the few times he goes on a scout outing or hunting! (and then, I seem to find a project to work on that keeps me cleaning or something till waaaaaaay later than I normally would stay up!...me bad!!!)

4. Cook Potato Soup. I think my kids would like potato soup...and it's a real economical meal...but his mom made potato soup when he was young, and he was not a fan of it then, and won't even eat it at all now. His mom is a great cook, and I used to love it when his dad would make some and sneak me some. I don't know if it's the onions...he is terribly allergic to onions...or what, but he won't even try now, so I doubt it really was a "mom can't cook it" thing, but rather, an "I hate it" thing. We don't eat anything he doesn't like. (when he is gone...I don't cook!) So, no chance for potato soup.

5. Oh, my Goodness...I can think of nothing else...not seven, not six, not even five...we have been married so long that I cannot think of one more thing I would do that would freak him out, because we just think so much alike, so much of the time, that I just have no inkling, no desire to do anything like that...talk about ol' married folk! Well, maybe next week the seven will be easier for me!

1 comment:

Melonie said...

I've had some good potato soup and some that is downright awful - I can't say I blame him too very much. It's got be really chowder-y for me to like it. ;-)

Just wanted to pop by and thank you for Following my blog recently. :-) Wishing you a wonderful week!