Monday, April 19, 2010

When Life Gives You Bananas...


I can be a nut when it comes to finding a bargain, and I found a bargain on bananas the other day...only, it was a case of bananas. So, I have been eating, freezing, and drinking bananas, and now I used the bounty to make...you guessed it: banana bread. I tried to make it a bit more healthy, so Nate and Dad would eat it (yes, Ethan, dangerous healthy bread in our house!)

Here's the recipe, with my twist:

Favorite Banana Bread

4 cups flour (I used whole wheat)
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs, beaten
8 bananas, mashed
2 teaspoons vanilla
6 Tablespoons almond milk (the recipe says milk, but I only had almond milk!)
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

In separate bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Beat together remaining ingredients and then add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Blend till just combined. Pour into greased mini loaf pans (I filled 6 mini pans 2/3 full). Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.



My son, Morgan, loved it. Nathan, well, we shall see, but he should be happy: almond milk, wheat germ, whole wheat flour, oats, nuts.


No comments: