Thursday, April 28, 2011

Mexican Venison Stroganoff

We have been blessed with venison...lots of venison...Friends who adore hunting, but whose wives don't adore eating, drop their "prize" at our home, often on short notice, and Dee and I spend hours cutting, chopping, and packaging the meat. I, then, get to use this. However, it's difficult to find recipes that are not stew! I have used this one many times, and they guys love it!




Mexican Venison Stroganoff

2 lb. elk or deer, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
4 cloves crushed garlic (my house LOVES garlic, so I used a whole bulb
3 T. olive oil
1 cup water
1 cup bottled chili sauce (I use Ketchup and chopped pickled jalapenos)
2 T. paprika
1/2 t. Chili powder
3 t. salt
2 T. soy sauce
2 8-oz. cans mushroom stems and pieces (I used 8 oz fresh mushrooms)

4 T. sour cream (optional...my guys don't want it.)

1 pound egg noodles, cooked according to package directions.

Brown meat cubes in olive oil.

When the meat is nearly all cooked, add the garlic.

 Drain oil. Stir in water, chili sauce/ketchup and spices, paprika, chili powder, salt, soy sauce and mushrooms.

Cook over medium heat till it boils and then reduce to low and simmer at least 1 hour, till meat gets tender.


Just before serving, stir in sour cream, if desired. Serve over egg noodles. (We had to run an errand, Dee was hungry when we got home, so I used the pasta we already had cooked in the fridge. Still tasted good!)

No comments: