Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Elder Rice Mail for Sunday, February 16, 2014

So hey family,
Awesome Sunday we had. I was sitting in church, when a member walked in right before it started and said that there were two people outside that she didn’t know. I walked out as they were singing “We Thank Thee O God For A Prophet” and I saw the less active gentleman and his son that we visited last week and they brought their cousin, a person that I taught once, and their friend that had come once before. They had Books of Mormon in their hands. The friend that had come once before apologized for not coming more often. He is busy with work. I was super happy. I walked into church and all the members saw every one and were super excited too.  I was so full of joy. I sat on the pew and thanked Heavenly Father for that huge miracle and I started to cry a little bit. I was soooo happy. I am gonna work hard this week. There is still a chance for a baptism this weekend. We are going to work super hard and hope for something. I set goals like crazy high this week: 8 Book of Mormons a day given out and like that. haha. We’re gonna sprint to the end.

I have been reading the Book of Mormon a lot. I finished 4th Nephi. It’s sad, but it helped me look into the lives of human beings today, and at myself. How often do we feel this immense joy from doing something righteous, and then 5 minutes later seek for some temporal happiness and sin, and that joy leaves. Like after the experience yesterday, I just prayed to always remember the joy I felt at that moment, because humans are so forgetful. If we always remember the joy of doing what’s right, the fake happiness of sinning will have no luster to it. We will see the “great and spacious building” for what it really is. I did a district training on Lehi’s dream (Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 8https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/1-ne/8?lang=eng) and I loved how in “Preach My Gospel,  the large and spacious building is almost transparent. It’s really not what is seems. It’s interesting to think about. The fruit looks so simple, but it provides true joy. We need to always remember. It’s the hardest thing to do when we are tempted, but we need to always remember the joy of keeping the commandments. That is the only joy. I highlight the word “remember” in the Book of Mormon, and it’s so important. If people only remember, they will be righteous. That’s the biggest thing I learned this week.

I love you all so much. Have a great week. Take care of Jessica.

Love, Elder Rice

No comments: