Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Being a Worried Mom Never Ever Goes Away

You know, when my kids were younger, and Nathan "survived" those rounds of DPT, Hib, and Hepatitis vaccines, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. Finally, I don't have to worry about side effects, and permanent damage to my babies. Even now, I would worry myself into a frenzy if I knew beforehand that either Adam or Grace was receiving vaccinations. (Allison, you are so brave to bear this worry alone!) Now, Dee is getting ready to go to India in a few weeks. Okay, fine...a new place to see. First, came the concern over laundry...when you send your laundry for the hotel to wash, what do you do with your temple garment? Well, we bought him a few 2 piece sets (quite an accomplishment for the old school one piece guy) and he will hand wash them. Then, I speak with Danyel, who kindly talked to her sister, Megan, who spent quite a bit of time in India and knows what to be careful about: don't drink out of anything unless it is brand new and very sealed, don't touch any animal, etc. Then Dee's boss, who is from India, reiterated Megan's warnings, and included to not eat any salads, fruit that is thin skinned, and again watch those bottles because the Indians try to refill with their own "water"and then reseal the bottle. Now, he has to go to the Honeywell doctor tomorrow and get innoculations for polio, Hepatitis A and B, Yellow Fever, and who know what else, and he has to take medication prior to, during and when he gets home for malaria! I am just sick!! That poor man!! (And poor me if he has reactions to any/all of those). Hey, Allison, you said that Adam didn't even notice the shots he got...what toy did you get Adam...I may need to run to the store tomorrow!!

1 comment:

the W* family said...

I told him he could either spend $3 on an ice cream cone or $3 on a toy. He chose the toy right away (smart boy). It's a small Transformer, but I don't think his one Hep A is going to compare to everything Dad has to get... and I've heard some of those really hurt. Good luck! (I always give the kids a dose of ibuprofen about 1/2 hour before their vaccines to 'take the edge off'. Maybe you can tell Dad to do that, too). :)