Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Best Oatmeal Cookies


I print a ton of recipes, intending to try every one, but they often just get filed away, or put into the trash when I find another. This one, I found the other day, and, since the weather is nice enough that we don't have to run the a/c, the Power Nazi, as we affectionately refer to my sweetheart, during the warmer months, saw no problem with me baking a treat. This one is healthier...than others...too. I found the recipe at www.cookiemadness.net. The title of the recipe is Butterscotch Walnut Wheat Cookies. I did my own tweaking, so they suit us, and Dee loves them!

Butterscotch Walnut Wheat Cookies

1 cup butter, softened (I used unsalted)
1 2/3 cup packed brown sugar (I used the dark brown)
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs
2 1/4 cups ground whole wheat flour (I ground a 25 lb. bag and keep the flour in the fridge)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
12 oz. butterscotch chips (I used 1 1/2 cups cinnamon chips)
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1/3 cup wheat germ
1/3 cup coconut (I used about 2/3 cup sweetened)

Cream butter, sugan and vanilla until light. Combine and add eggs, beat well. Combine dry ingredients and then add to butter mixture. Do not overmix. Add chips, oats, nuts, wheat germ, and coconut. Drop onto greased cookie sheets (I just used my parchment covered ones...no greasing needed). Bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes. (They seemed a little underbaked when I took them out of the oven, but I left them on the pan and then set up just fine.)

Makes about 3 dozen good sized yummy cookies.

No comments: