Thursday, December 31, 2009

Reflections On 2009

Reflection Questions for 2009
1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
I have a brand new healthy grandson, Joshua, and Allison made it through the pregnancy and birth with absolute flying colors.
2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
This was a definite: living on a greatly diminished income...Dee got no raise, pay was cut, had furlough days with no pay, had only 1 disc jockey event, and sold no homes, plus, we had to add an adult to our household for almost 7 months until he could get back on his feet.
3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
Again, Joshua was totally unexpected!
4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
The Church is trying to build a temple in our neighborhood. They are beautiful, sacred, holy places...always an asset to an area. However, the neighbors have been very negative...protests, petitions, and very one sided commentary (they were even out protesting today). I think it is so sad that these well meaning, otherwise kind people could misinform and mislead, omit other neighborhood feelings, etc. for something they really have made little effort to truly find out about. I run by that property almost every day, and now I wonder if it ever will be. So very sad for all.
5. Pick three words to describe 2009.
Worry, fear, prayer
6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2009 (don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you). work, lists, Grammy
7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2009 (again, without asking).work, fear, work
8. What were the best books you read this year?
Thousand Year Leap, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows, Book of Mormon
9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
My dear sweet husband, my mom, my sister
10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
Sitting in a line every Thursday for surplus food. At first, it was humbling. Then, it was a challenge to use all this unique food...odd sizes, often near spoiling. The best surprise, though, was the genuinely wonderful people I have met. Phyllis is a very loud lady from Chicago. She gets double the food allotted (you pay for a card...she pays for 2) and makes food for the veterans and the homeless. She also distributes sleeping bags she collects for the homeless. One older gentleman always brings me clothing. One gentleman, who rarely talks to anyone, got me a huge jar of mayo one day...just reached over so I could have it as one of my card items. And Mary...she is a dear hispanic lady...I miss her when I cannot talk to her...She was going to teach me to make tamales this year...but I didn't get the time. I'm gonna still get the stuff and have her show me...She is just a gem. She was married for 47 yrs. before her sweet Louie died...and she can tell you down to the almost moment how long ago he died. I hope I can love Dee as much as she loves Louie! The little lady that wears a mask because she can't stand perfume...she comes so early so she can get the best bread. All of these sweet people...they are the best part of a hard time.
11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
I am trying so hard to just keep things in perspective. I am trying not to let the little things bug me so much. I am trying to just clean it up rather than complain about it.
12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
I have witnessed true miracles, oddly enough, by blogging. I have prayed for illnesses, sicknesses, etc. I have prayed for healing for those I will never ever know or meet. I have seen a little boy miraculously healed (Stellan). I have seen a family lose a precious triplet. I have learned to pray for the needs of others more, and I have seen and felt that power.
13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
I still run, still hike, still exercise, but I am trying not to be such a fanatic about it.
14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
I really don't know...the adult we tried to help for months and months has gone out on his own, but as far as improving his circumstances, he is not any further along, so all our sacrifice, prayer, and money was, basically, for nothing.
15. What was the most enjoyable area of managing your home?
I have really learned that I LOVE cooking and baking and meal planning and creating something out of what I have.
16. What was your most challenging area of home management?
Making sure expenses were less than income. We really had to watch! And I learned that fixing your teeth can be a great birthday present.
17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
Bejeweled Blitz!
18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
I try so hard to improve my organizational skills every day, and this year I made sure I wasn't just cleaning for the sake of cleaning! I allowed creative time.
19. What was the biggest thing you learned this past year?
We did live on less. Now, next week, we will have to live on nothing...but I have tried hard to allow for the "rainy day" or week, per se, so I am not worried.
20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2009 for you.
Come what may and love it. - Joseph B. Worthlin ( I got this from the blog I found this on...and I cannot think of anything better.)

Happy New Year!!

No comments: