Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Hawaiian Meatballs

I tried something new last week...got this recipe off of Facebook...A sweet girl I used to drive to school when she was in 7th grade...now she's a wife, mom of 2 1/2, and shared this recipe with me...Again, no pics...they ate it before I could plate it! It was really good!

Hawaiian Meatballs

1 lb. meatballs
2 2/3 c. beef broth (I double most sauce recipes...we like 'em saucy! So her amount was 1 1/3 c. which she says is one 10.5 ounce can (20 oz.) pineapple chunks
1 can (20 oz) pineapple chunks (didn't double this)
1/2 c. red wine vinegar (didn't have any, so I used apple cider vinegar)
1 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. salt
2 c. green bell pepper (I had orange cut up and frozen, so I thawed and that is what I used)
2 Tbsp. corn starch mixed with 1/4 c. cool water - mix to make a slurry

Put meatballs in large saucepan. Combine all ingredients except cornstarch in a bowl, then pour over meatballs. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer 15 minutes. Add the cornstarch slurry and return to boil until thickened. Serve over rice.

I kept the meatballs out, mixed and thickened the sauce, heated the meatballs separately (some only like beef, some only like turkey), and put meatballs and then sauce on the rice.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

This sounds good! I'm gonna try it.