Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Quick Chicken Creole

Last week, I was fighting a nasty cold/lung thing. Hence, I was taking sudafed (the good stuff...not that ineffective over the counter product), and got LOTS done. Also, son who had been away was with us, so I wanted to make some good home cooked meals (I cook every night...but the "good" is often up for debate). Here is one of our favorites. I have even used bell peppers (gotten at a great sale) that I have cut into 1 inch pieces and put in freezer bags, and it tastes great!

Quick Chicken Creole

1 T. canola oil
4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1" chunks
2 cans (14 oz.) tomatoes, undrainded (I use the Italian seasoned tomato chunks)
1 can tomato sauce
3 cups chopped bell pepper (I usually mix any that I can get...red, green, yellow, orange)
1 cup chopped celery
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. dried basil (I have fresh growing in the garden, so I used that)
1 T. dried parsley flakes
1/2 t. crushed red pepper (to taste. When I cook for my mom, I leave it out till I save her serving, then add it)
3 cups steamed rice (I use brown jasmine rice from Trader Joes)

Heat the oil in a large skillet and saute the chiken for about 8 minutes till it is done, with no pink. Add herbs and garlic and saute a couple of minutes. Then add the celery and bell peppers. I cook this about 10 minutes, to get the raw taste out. Then I add the tomatoes and sauce. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Serve over 1/3 cup steamed rice.

Yield: 8 servings

Sorry, no picture. By the time I finished, the group was starving and they didn't want to wait for me to "pose the plate".

No comments: