Thursday, August 27, 2009

Writer's Workshop


1.) My animals are making me nuts! Many people know that I am NOT an animal fan. Now, this hasn’t always been this way. As a teenager, I just loved my dear dog, Max! He was a long haired daschaund, and was my dearest friend for many years. When hubby and I married, I moved in on Frisky’s territory. She did tolerate me…not so much as the kids came along. She lived a good life, until our nutty neighbor shot her and ended her devoted life. We have had various cats, dogs, and even a turtle, for a few days…no problem…until “CC” was given to us. She wasn’t a
“crazy cat”..she was a “carpet crapper”! She thought every piece of carpeting in our home was her own personal litter box! We tried everything to teach, to discipline, but she was boss in this area. So, when she aged, and finally passed on, I was adamant that our home NEVER more be graced with anything that excretes, poops, urinates, etc. I even had my way…for awhile, until my youngest, who is an aspiring football playing, car rebuilding farmer, wanted chickens. I fought, but eventually caved, as long as they were kept in the nice pen that I assisted him in building, and did not poop on my porch. Heck, we have over an acre of land…there are plenty of places to “do their business” ! Promises were made…and kept. That worked for a few years. Alas, though, they got out…the taste of freedom. Oh, well, they seemed to realize that the grass was tasty, so they seemed to stay away. Then, one day, as I walked out the back door, I was greeted with a “special gift” from our chickens. And, no matter how much I remind hubby and sons of the promises made, I still deal with poultry on my porch! And, it makes me nuts!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Every time my sister and I watch AFV and see a dog doing something stupid, gross, or both, we say "and that's why I don't want a dog."
For me, that goes for all animals.
But I also have twin boys...I wouldn't be surprised if someday they get me to cave, just as yours have...