Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Amazing Elk


Some dear people at church gave us their left over packages of elk meat when they moved away for a few months. This wonderful gift proved to be such a blessing to us! I have found that I can make anything from ground elk that I can with ground turkey (haven't really used ground beef in years, except to make burgers on the grill! Oh, and Grandma's famous meatloaf!) The other night, we had extra family at our house, helping Nathan prime his truck. I grabbed two pounds of ground elk from the freezer. I browned it...virtually no fat and very mild flavor...and mixed it with barbeque sauce (some I got on sale months ago...buck a bottle) and voila...elky joes! I used buns from the food bank, made potatoes and cheese in the crockpot (potatoes from food bank and cheese, again on sale for a buck), cole slaw (cabbage from food bank, dressing a sale item...you guessed it -- a buck and I have already used it for two meals) cantaloup from the food bank. And out came a great meal, for just a few dollars, and fed seven adults, plus made lunch for Dee today, and still leftovers for another meal.

Next, I found a recipe for an Italian ground beef stew...you guessed it....Elk Stew a la Italia!

1 comment:

Annie Miller said...

Loving elk too! I made Dorito taco salads the other night. Delicious!