Saturday, August 28, 2010

Falcon Football...Game One...A Win...But No One Really Cared

Falcon Football Game One...play was awesome...Nate was awesome (he is a lineman, but he lost about 40 pounds...so he is FAST as well as strong. He sacked the quarterback just as he let go of the ball...he ran...he blocked...he caused a fumble...he was amazing! It was such a great night...the score was 46-8, I think, so the younger second string was put in, so they could have a chance. They were doing so well, when the referees started blowing and blowing and blowing their whistles...something was terribly wrong...all the players took a knee...I looked and saw Nate and his teammates huddle on their knees...and offer a prayer...and I looked and saw a Falcon, laying on the field. At first, I thought his legs were crossed oddly, until I realized that the leg was obviously broken...very broken. The game was called...only 3 minutes left...but no one left...no one moved. The team half heartedly ran off the field, got their things, and came back. The whole crowd...just watched...relatively silent. The player's older sister was there. All I could think about was his mom...his dad...and that phone call they had just received. For a moment, someone thought it was my Nathan...I knew in my head that he was not in the game...but it took my hubby asking if that poor boy was wearing black socks pulled all the way up...grateful it wasn't my sweet son, but so very sad for that son, for that family. The ambulance left, and so did the players...and the crowd. Football is a dangerous game, and no one realizes that more than every single mom and dad and grandparent...and coach...out there. No one takes for granted how very close these young men come, each and every time they play, to a life threatening, or life altering injury. We pray for our fallen Falcon...we pray for our boys every game...we are thankful for these boys that stopped and knelt and asked for help from their Father in Heaven for their friend, their teammate. Yep, we really didn't know the score...and we didn't care.

No comments: