Monday, August 2, 2010

First Day: Senior Year


I have stated, ad nauseum, that I am a mother of six kids. Six kids means filling out over 78 health/contact information cards at the beginning of school. It means standing in 22 waaaaay long lines to get books/lockers/parking passes (hey big kids, I know you didn't get a parking pass...you youngest brother has one, though right now he has nothing to park!)---(and I didn't get my figuring off: Morgan decided to "take another path for education" during his junior year, and Kayty graduated as a junior). That is 19 high school year books (Kayty's performing arts high school was too small. During her junior year, we made one of our own for her!) That is 22 "first day" pictures. So, this year, my final...yes, final...child is a senior. That means all that I do is "THE LAST TIME".

So, today was the last "first day of school" picture. Now, Nathan, ever the "commenter" said, upon completion, "I had the sun in my eyes. You know, if you would just not get the sun in my eyes, I might like these pictures."

Huh? Not get the sun in his eyes? Where does he think we live??? Washington? We live in Phoenix, Arizona. We ALWAYS have sun. In fact, last weekend, we had blessed clouds...and, only in Phoenix, Arizona, do you hear people commenting over and over and over how cool it is when it is in the upper 80's/low 90's.

So, with complaints and all, Nathan started school today, complete with our traditional father's blessing the night before. I do say that this is the FIRST first day of school picture with a child with "facial hair" (if you look very closely, you will see some beardish whiskers.) He says he's not gonna shave till football season is over...12 weeks! Something about being lucky, or maybe a Samson strength kinda thing. I don't know, though...the way it's growing in, I think he will look more like Brigham Young!

1 comment:

Heather said...

You are amazing to raise 6 kids! Good job! I bet it is bitter sweet, with Nate going for his last year of school! I would be so sad but happy at the same time!