Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Salsa-ed Out!

I don't know what happens to me. Maybe it's all the blogs I read from many talented men and women who grow, can, dehydrate, store, etc. food. Maybe it's the "Molly Mormon" in me...trying to use resources and make better than the store can. Anyway, when my Bountiful Basket order came, tomatoes were offered, as well as extra veggies especially used for salsa. I was inspired, so I ordered. I picked up the food Saturday, and figured to start yesterday. First, I was going to can the salsa, but I decided that I really needed to have a "safe" recipe to use, so I just found a recipe and set out on my quest: homemade salsa.

I first stopped at Food City after Nate's school non-football workout, and got roasted chilis, jalapenos, cilantro, etc. Great price and chilis were still warm! I then spent hours peeling and chopping tomatoes, chilis, cilantro (thank goodness I didn't have to chop onions...with my hubby and his severe onion allergy, that made it easier, though recipe finding was hard!) I mixed the first batch. I wanted Nate's full critique (I can't eat ANYTHING hot anymore...too bad.) He said it was great, but too chunky, so I put it in the food processor. He loved it. I made another batch, and another batch. (I neglected to notice that he was downing milk like a baby!) Finally, he thought it was too hot. I decreased chilis, omitted jalapeno. Dee got home and tried it. Loved it, but later again, he was taking anti-acids. Still too hot! (And Dee loves hot things!!)I stirred in crushed tomatoes before jarring it and putting it in the fridge outside. I have many large jars of molten salsa! I don't think I am going to try that again... A full day of work, and nothing too eat. Looks great, smells great, but fries your tongue to smithereens!! So much for "Molly Mormon", or should I say, "Senora Molita Mormona"!

4 comments:

starleen said...

Sounds like fun, something i've done before. it must be the molly mormon in us. have a great day

Grammy Suzzy said...

Starleen, I don't think I would call it "fun". Did you can your salsa? Maybe I can get your recipe! I know Danyel always goes on and on about your wonderful skills in canning and preserving! You are my "goal"!

Danyel said...

You did a great job on your first try. Just make sure they know how hot it is. I noticed if we get hotter salsa Doran goes through it slower. Mabey its a garnish salsa insted of a dip salsa. Keep up the good work. Love you lots.

starleen said...

Suzzy i don't can salsa but my sister does so i can see if she has a good recipe. Levi loves the church salsa so when they have canning he goes up there and cans it. there are things you also do that i love keep up the good work. Starleen