Sunday, November 30, 2008

Making A Change

Here it is, the last day of November. I read many blogs the last few days, hearing about the wonderful Thanksgiving each had, with the focus of all being on their gratitude. I had a wonderful meal, with wonderful people. My family...except for my daughter, son in law, and grandbabies...were all their. I also got to share the wonderful meal with the dear family of my daughter in law, Cameo. Both her parents, and her sister and husband are such good, kind, wonderful people. I was blessed to be there and be with them all. However, I did not take any time to spend just feeling the good things the day brings. I was so busy getting food ready...roasting the turkey, peeling the potatoes, making the salads, getting all the stuff ready to load and transport, that I didn't stop to be thankful. Now, this was all my fault, but it really left me feeling empty after the day was finished.
So, I decided that Christmas would be a little different, at least for me. I am an "ahead" kind of guy...my ornaments are ready to mail, I am almost ready to get the Christmas card ordered (next year, my photo request will go out in June!), almost all the gifts are finished (those of my children who do not let me know this week what they want are getting money!), stockings are almost all wrapped (Nathan is always the toughest one to shop for! He and Ethan!!) I try to get all done ahead so there is little last minute and more time to enjoy. But, to make sure I do get todo this, starting tonight, at 9:45 P.M. we are having a Christmas devotional. Each night, at that time, one person is assigned to share a Christmas story or a scripture about the birth of the Savior. We will see if this keeps going. Hopefully, it will help me feel the good things of Christmas and enjoy what we are celebrating.

3 comments:

the W* family said...

I'm so sorry about not getting back to you about the presents yet! Mike and I keep thinking and thinking... we can't think of anything. Well, except for a house. But I think that's a bit out of the price range! :) We'll figure it out and get back to you this week-promise! Love you!

Danyel said...

Mom I hope that you have a wonderful christmas. You deserve it. Doran will bring over ethan and Cameo's picture so you can get your card ordered. We love you so much and thank you for all that you do for us.

Grammy Suzzy said...

Hey, sweet Allison, I do not mind giving money. I am concerned about gift cards, being that so many stores are going out of business. Don't worry yourselves. You both have enough to do with work and school and church!! If you do find something special, just let me know. And, you two have a little more time, being that your Phoenix Christmas is going to be later!!